2001: A Space Odyssey - Human Zoo

(Rmorais) #1

Hi!

I loved the theme for this contest and I will try to push myself and create one of the most awesome film sequences of all time.

If you are familiar with the movie, in the last 30 minutes or so, Dave enters into a cosmic voyage lead by the monolith ending up in a room with esterile colors and victorian furniture. In this room you can see different versions of Dave and here it is my idea.. I want to try to lead the viewer/player into this versions of the same character in different situation within the same room, What do you guys think?... The sketchfab annotations will surely help me a bunch.... =P

Some movie screenies to help visualize...

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
I'm excited to participate, but this might be a little bit too much for one scene? What do you think?

Cheers!

(Miekeroth) #2

Maybe focus on that erie feeling this movie and especially this scene has.

Very interesting-- what does "esterile colors" mean?

(Rmorais) #4

@c0re Oh ops, I mean "sterile colors" if that makes any sense =P ....
@miekeroth Mhm yeah, I am after that strange feeling yes =]

Ah, I see! In terms of "too much", it's just a matter of knowing how fast you work and how much time you can dedicate. I think that very first reference picture would be a great way to encompass the aesthetic of the overall movie.

(Bart) #6

Welcome on board, good to see you again Rafael! I've just added one month of free Sketchfab PRO to your account. You will now be able to upload larger models, use more annotations and more - here's more information.

Also, don't forget to subscribe to the contest news thread and to read the Frequently Asked Questions!

We'll be in touch :slight_smile:

(Germancasado) #7

this is going to be great in VR!

(Ulfg) #8

Hi Rafael, it's great that you do this! I thought about it, too, and I would love to explore that location.
Especially that all light comes only from the floor should be exciting.

A while ago, I had my first Oculus and Vive on, and the limits of the physical stage, where I could actually walk around, were a little frustrating. They had experimented with "beaming" when you wanted to go further, but that was disorienting and not very satisfactory.
In this case though, in an interactive scene, you could actually use those stage movement-limitations to produce a disorientation like the character of Dave experiences:

As I watch the scene, I feel that Dave – like me – does not know how he gets from A to B in the scene; neither spatially nor temporarily.

One could play around with that: If you start the player inside the pod in which Dave arrives, you could use a certain amount of player movement as a trigger to have both the pod vanish and the player reolcated. Similarly, as soon as the player walks too far (= too close to a stage edge), he/she is placed somewhere new (where a virtual wall would discourage him/her to continue in that direction).
Or you could also introduce images of Dave, but as soon as one tries to walk towards them, you are relocated and they have vanished … so you could even decide which objects to model detailed, which could satisfactorily been examined closely, and which you want to keep the player away from approaching …

Okay, sorry, might have all been off topic – but it proves that I'm super-anxious to see your scene! :slight_smile: