3D lenticular printing service for 3D models

(Itsikw) #1

The lenticular medium is a great way to visualize 3D objects. The medium itself is flat, and the image can be seen in full 3D without any visual aids.
For anybody here interested to try this I have written instructions on how to prepare art for 3D lenticular print.
This post is commercial, and I hope that it does not violate any etiquette rules. If it does, I apologize. I decided to post it because I believe that members of this community will find it interesting, and some even useful. I am here for any questions or feedback.

(Bart) #2

Hey @itsikw,

thanks for being honest about it being commercial! You're right, it is interesting information for 3D designers and I don't think I've ever seen a tutorial about it before. Could you do that with a Sketchfab model too? smile

(Itsikw) #3

3D lenticular is a very useful medium for 3D visualization. Unfortunately, this technique suffers from total lack of documentation, and therefore is not accessible to the 3D artist community. It is clear why you have not seen a tutorial about it before: there is none! This is why my service is innovative, and perhaps the first of its kind.
Regarding your question, the answer is no, but this is only due to the present UI. To make a lenticular sequence one needs a method to rotate the object by a specific angle. Manual rotation with the mouse is insufficient. But if you allow the user to rotate the model by a specific angle then it will be possible to make a lenticular sequence from any sketchfab model. Probably one could even create a UI button that will do it automatically.
If you are interested in this, I will be happy to assist you in creating it. I think it would be quite revolutionary (or, at least, cool).

(Bart) #4

It would certainly be possible with a little Javascript and the Sketchfab API:

https://sketchfab.com/developers/viewer

It would be cool to have some of those cards!

(Itsikw) #5

I can help you by defining the application, not by actually writing it. Sorry.

(Itsikw) #6

I had a look at your API. It certainly looks as if this task will be quite straightforward. I have second thoughts, maybe I will try it.

(Bart) #7

I don't think it needs to be a full application, just a 'hack' to try this technology?

(Itsikw) #8

Yes, certainly. If you could commission someone to do this it will be great. Myself I enjoy programming, but there is so much to do to advance the lenticular printing technology that I am not sure when I can allocate time for this.
Anyway, this is a two step procedure. In the first step it is necessary to measure the (relative) object depth by taking two screen shots at two opposite angles (like +/- 2deg) and then measure the parallaxes. From this measurement one calculates the angular separation for the lenticular sequence. The second step is to take a sequence of screen shots with this angular separation. (The third step is of course to send the sequence to me for a print smile .)

(Bart) #9

Yeah we can do that. I'm not sure how to measure parallax though - could I just give you two images and let you handle that?

(Itsikw) #10

Certainly! I can calculate the angular step, and then print a 3D lenticular from your sequence as a test case.

(Ruffy) #11

Hi,

Just wanted to add to the mix.
I agree that 3D Lenticular is another great medium, in fact, I received the AIPP (Australian Institute of Professional Photographers) Master of Photography accolade based entirely on 3D Lenticular Portraiture. The only person in the world to achieve this smile
http://www.studio3d.net.au
I have not done so, but it should be relatively strait forward to print from electronic 3D to print 3D.
I found it very difficult to market lenticular and now trying 3D Body Scanning (much more difficult:))
I primarily used 40 lpi with an Epson printer with prints up to 2x25 inch (45+ views), however, I have done some 1x1.5meters with 20 lpi (96+ views).
I hope to one day photograph the Australian Aboriginal and exhibit to the world.
Would like to what Curtis did for the North American Indian many moons ago.

(Itsikw) #12

I am glad to announce a new 3D lenticular printing service for CG models. Our website contains detailed instructions on how to submit the art to lenticular print. One can create themselves the lenticular sequence to maintain full control of the picture visual appearance, or submit the model itself and let us prepare the sequence. I have made a beautiful 3D lenticular picture from the wood sphere model which I have purchased recently.
This service is launched after considerable R&D and testing, and, to the best of our knowledge, it is first of its kind. Submit your art for evaluation without any commitment and free of charge.