3D Max Exporter and PDR workflow?

Having some trouble with the workflow…

I currently have models created in Max and textured in Substance Painter. Maps applied to models back in Max but I can’t seem to find the right way to export from Max into Sketchfab to end up with all the textures applied.

I have base colour, roughness, metallic and normal maps. Which would be easy enough to just export the model into Sketchfab and then manually apply the maps there but I have 57 models!

Using the Standard Material in Max won’t work because it doesn’t have material slots for roughness, metallic or normal maps.
I can apply those maps to a Physical or VRay material, but when I export using the Sketchfab for Max exporter I only get the base material applied to the models in Sketchfab.

Exporting as FBX or OBJ I get the same sort of issue, they don’t recognise the material types on export and don’t bring across the maps. And I don’t want or need to bake them because I’ve already done the work in Substance.

Wouldn’t it be great if there was a Universal PDR shader that worked across the board with applications? :slight_smile: Wishful thinking…

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make this work without manually having to apply the textures in Sketchfab? I have a lot more model bundles like this I want to upload and I’m not looking forward to the manual process of it all.

Thanks.
Warwick

There is a list of suffixes you can use when naming your textures, seek for “automatic pbr mapping”.
Hope this is what you look for

4 Likes

Awesome, thank you very much. Looks like that will work for what I’m doing.
Cheers