3D model wish list

(Abby Crawford) #1

I ran across a photo today that looked as though it was in 3D, although it turned out not to be. This made me think that it would be grand if someone who had access to that thing, which is in a part of the world that I am not, could 3D model it. What cultural heritage would you want to see in 3D that you're unable to do yourself? For me, I think it would be the Augustus of Prima Porta. Or the Chimera of Arezzo. Or the Dying Gaul. Or the Piacenza Liver. The list goes on and on!

(Nestor F. Marques) #2

Making any of this masterpieces in 3D would be great!

I recently processed one of my favorite sculptures (captured a few years ago, with my old low quality DSLR). The boxer in the Roman National Museum, an original bronze c. 330 BC statue from the baths of Constantine in Rome.

It was done under no special lighting conditions and with a low quality DSLR. I hope to return soon enough to recapture it better.

Hope you like it!

Boxeador (The Boxer) by Néstor F. Marqués on Sketchfab

(Abby Crawford) #3

That's excellent - thanks @NestorMarques! After I posted my abbreviated wish list I had thought, "should have added the Boxer". It's like you read my mind. smile

(Nestor F. Marques) #4

Thanks @abbyec!

Let's see if anyone goes to Italy soon enough to start fill up the gaps in the list... I would add Capitoline Mars, the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius (quite a challenge), and the Via Labicana Augustus to my personal favorites to see in 3D.

(Bart) #5

Oh NICE, I really like this idea @abbyec! Let's think a little about how we could scale this - with close to 200,000 community members we should be able to find members in all major cities of the world?

Weigh in: Organization of 3D scan wish list page
(Matthewbrennan) #6

Here's the Dying Gaul:

The Dying Gaul by Matthew Brennan on Sketchfab

it's a bit rough, made using photos I took a few years ago.

(Matthewbrennan) #7

Here's the Augustus Pontifex Maximus:

Augustus Pontifex Maximus by Matthew Brennan on Sketchfab

(Abby Crawford) #8

Those are fantastic! Thanks, @matthewbrennan!

(Bart) #9

@matthewbrennan excellent scans! I've updated your posts so the models are embedded here (use the regular link instead of the short link).

(Jeancharlesvarlet) #10

@NestorMarques I found 2 Italian professionals on Scan Valley (http://scanvalley.com), why not ask them to scan your favorite works of art for you ? wink

(Matthewbrennan) #11

thanks Bart! I couldn't figure out why it wasn't displaying...

(Matthewbrennan) #12

Here's a model of the Augustus of Prima Porta:
http://www.digitalsculpture.org/augustus/index.html

(Nieda) #13

Very nice!! Did you have problems with shining reflections? Can you post one of the pictures used to scan?

(Nestor F. Marques) #14

This was done with no special light setup (room light only) and my old Canon 550D. There was no big issue here with reflectiveness thanks to the rusted bronze of the Boxer.

(Matthewbrennan) #15

Here's the (copy) Equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius:

Marcus Aurelius Equestrian Statue by Matthew Brennan on Sketchfab

(Geoffreymarchal) #16

That is interesting! I just did pictures to 3D scan the Dying Gaul (the Royal Cast Collection) and I could also make a 3D scan of the Augustus of Prima Porta (Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek). If you have more wishes, I am living close to Copenhagen where are a lot of museum full of this kind of sculpture.

(Distance880) #18

I'll bite. I don't know everything you have access to. I would say, If possible. Anything architectural related. Old buildings. Anything that would show nice detail on how things were assembled. If possible, old tools, or weapons. Mechanical objects, or old guns. Anything military related. Anything with interesting construction or design. Anything that is half broken that shows internal parts or working mechanics. Heavily deteriorated objects which still have visual appeal. Anything with really elaborate weathering made out of multiple materials that shows interesting deterioration. Period clothing of any type. Anything with fascinating or intricate construction, like old clocks.

Titanic's Grand Staircase Clock as a subject?