So, Apple’s 2020 iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max will be equipped with a LiDAR sensor. I wonder whether it will be identical to the one found in the 2020 iPad Pro? Regardless, it will see this sensor in the hands of a great many more people, and hopefully will drive a bit more innovation in this space.
I’m sure it won’t take long for the existing 3D scanning apps for the 2020 iPad Pro to make their way onto the iPhone 12 Pro. The apps I’m aware of are:
- LiDAR Scanner 3D (mesh scanning)
- Heges (mesh scanning - same developer as above)
- SiteScape (point cloud scanning)
- 3D Scanner App
- Occipital Canvas
- Record3D Point cloud or ‘volumetric’ videos! By the author of Heges.
- EveryPoint Combines all ARKit techniques including LiDAR. Can output .e57 point clouds.
- RTAB-Map Open Source 3D LiDAR scanning app with Online Loop Closure Detection
I will keep updating this thread as new apps become available or the ones above are updated. And of course, please post examples of LiDAR scans from the iPhone 12 Pro as they become available. Do state the app used and any post-processing tips.