3D Scanning Thursday #29: Paper

(Bart) #1

Congrats to Gerpho, winner of #3DST28 PAPER with his scanned hand.

He picked ‘PAPER' as our next topic. Maybe you're an origami lover, or you have some paper Christmas ornaments? I'm sure you can find some interesting paper objects in your house or office.

As of this week, we'll be running the 3DST contest on our new forum. To participate:

• post your entry on this thread (just copy/paste the URL into your reply).
  • tag your entry with 3DST29

Prize: get your work featured, and win a $25 3DHubs Coupon. A unique chance to get your scan printed.

Rules:

• Make a 3D scan of a paper object by Thursday, December 11th (find great 3D scanning apps here).
  • Share it on your own Sketchfab account, tag it with #3DST29 and post it on this thread (just write down the URL in a reply), and if you like add some comment to it.
  • The author of the model getting the most likes by the following Sunday is featured, wins a $25 3DHubs 3D printing coupon and gets to chose the following theme.
  • Multiple entries are ok.
  • Entries scanned before theme announcement are not ok.
  • To know everything about #3DST including great tutorials, check this blog post.

OrigamiRhino by Hasi GH on Sketchfab

(Alban) #2

Great topic @gerpho! I used to know by heart the entire jungle in origamis smile I would use newspapers to make big versions. I'll go back to make some!

(Bart) #3

Argh, I'll never win this one :smile:

(Alban) #4

And here is my first entry!

Snail origami #3DST29 by alban on Sketchfab

(Gerpho) #5

Do you mean that now that your nights are cut in thin slices by your marvelous baby, you'll have plenty of time available at night when you're not sleeping :smile: ?

(Alban) #6

precisely smile but hard to make origamis with no light...

(Gerpho) #7

Maybe on black paper ...

(Bart) #8

Hey guys, after some internal discussions we decided not to use forum likes to determine the winner, but keep using the existing system:

• tag your entry with 3DST29
  • use a normal 'like' on a model to cast your vote

Please DO add your entries here on the thread yet, so we can all see the work coming in and share the fun smile

(Bart) #9

I'm coming for you, @alban! smile

Scanned last night at a Christmas fair. Lighting was rather bad and I captured it on my iPhone 5, but the result is not too bad:

Christmas Scene 3DST29 by Bart on Sketchfab

And another one:

Paper Christmas Decoration #3DST29 by Bart on Sketchfab

Last one, I promise smile

Paper Galaxy by Bart on Sketchfab

Getting ready for Christmas with Sketchfab?
(Bart) #10

Hey folks, minor update: After having run 3DST with Shapeways for over half a year, we have now partnered with 3DHubs, the local 3D Printing Community. For now, we'll keep offering a $25 voucher each week, although we do have some other cool ideas up our sleeves. Stay tuned!

(Alban) #11

nice one @bartv, specially the christmas scene! I'm impressed by the details. Is this a flying star? Awesome smile

An incredible book, recommended for anyone interested in wood. Also, a little joke about "Paper"

The Woodbook #3DST29 by PadreZippo on Sketchfab

(Tauricity) #13

Paper, paper everywhere.

Paper Books 3dst29 by John Fino (tauricity) on Sketchfab

As well, for those interested, the above is done with 123d catch. This one is via project memento (also Autodesk).

Paper Books (Memento) by John Fino (tauricity) on Sketchfab

(Maksmakovsky) #14

My wife made this topiary, the ball of flowers made from paper. soooo seems legit for paper contest)

Topiary #3DST29 by maksmakovsky on Sketchfab

(Alie Nmantis) #15

I hope I'm not too late. It's still the 11th where I live! XD Constructed in 3D,
printed on 2D, build in 3D and again scanned in 3D. Slightly... Unusual.

PaperPokes Arcanine by ALIENmantis on Sketchfab

(Bart) #16

Very nice! And you're definitely not too late!

(Alban) #17

and another entry smile

VR4ALL cardboard #3DST29 by alban on Sketchfab

(Alban) #18

And a final late entry smile

For Boy #3DST29 by alban on Sketchfab

(Bart) #19

Hey folks!

After disallowing the entries of the Sketchfab team, maksmakovsky's entry 'Topiary' was the winner. It used 192 images(!) for the reconstruction and I think the result is quite impressive. Congrats Maks! I'll send you your 3D Hubs voucher right away.

How did you like sharing your entries on the forum this time? Did it help you get a sense of the activity?

(Bart) #20

The topic for this week's 3DST is Christmas (I guess you saw that one coming wink Post your entries here.

Have fun!