3D Scanning Thursday 39: Travel

(Bart) #1

The winner of 3DST38 "Thumbs Up!"

I invited dtmcnamara, winner of 3DST38, to pick this week's winner and tell us a bit about his choice. He says:

Well first let me say that I was going to enter this week’s competition, but after 3 failed attempts I was tired of strange looking hands all over my screen. This week’s challenge was a difficult one for a lot of people. Not only did you really need two people to complete the scan but you needed one of the persons to be absolutely still, which sounds like an easy task but in reality isnt. The two scans that really stand out to me are from PadreZippo and Crlnvl. Digitage and Abby Crawford both have really nice scans as well, but after my failed attempts I truly understand the level of difficulty in scanning a live person’s hand and that’s what puts PadreZippo and Crlnvl up front. I know there can only be one so Crlnvl seems to have a littel more detail around the fingers when viewing the wireframe so thats the model I choose.

Blue Thumb - #3DST38 by crlnvl on Sketchfab

Congrats @Crlnvl! The $25 3D Hubs voucher is coming your way.

Check out all the entries of 3DST38 here.

This week's topic: Travel

I have a lot of short trips coming up for 3D Printshows: Madrid, Berlin, New York and a visit to Sketchfab HQ in Paris. So I've been collecting stuff and getting my bag ready. How do you travel? What do you bring? This week's topic is Travel, so let us know wink (And ok, commutes are fine too)

Suitcase64 by rowanjlg on Sketchfab

About 3D Scanning Thursday (3DST)

Welcome to the 3DST!

Hey, nice of you to join us! The 3DST is a weekly community challenge for 3D Scanning enthusiasts. Participating is about fun and honor, although we do offer a modest prize.

How do I participate?

We pick a new topic every week and you enter by creating a 3D scan using any tool you like ([here's a list of 3D scanning apps][scanning_apps] that you could use). Don't take the topic too literally, just let the topic be your inspiration for this week.

After uploading, tag your work with the 3DST39 tag so everyone can view the contest gallery. For extra fun, post your entry below (just write down the URL in a reply).

The submission deadline is Thursday before midnight.

What can I win?

3D Hubs is sponsoring the 3DST with a $25 3D printing coupon. Thanks guys!

Cool, anything else?

We only have a few additional rules:

• You can submit as many entries as you like.
  • Entries scanned before theme announcement are not ok.

That's about it! If you have any questions, let me know. Otherwise, have a great weekend and enjoy creating your 3D scans!

#3DST38: Thumbs Up!
(Tobias Noell) #2

Here is my try:

Traveling means hiking to me. So I scanned my favorite hiking boots.
Check out the sole, there is even a small stone remaining from my last
hike wink

Hiking Boots - #3DST39 by TobiasNoell on Sketchfab

(Bart) #3

That looks amazing Tobias!

(Carpetudo) #4

Hello everyone!

Here's my entry to the contest:

Relógio Lanterna Francês | French Lantern Clock by Morbase (Carlos Carpetudo) on Sketchfab

This is a French Lantern Clock that traveled quite a distance in the 18th century from France to Portugal. It's quite a unique piece and also quite a difficult one to scan due to the details it presents. Hope you like it. smile

(Bart) #5

@carpetudo nice! I edited your post to fix the embed - just put the regular URL in your message, not the 'short' url.

(Carpetudo) #6

@bartv Thanks for the fix.

(Bart) #7

My first entry: I try to travel as light as possible. Okay, I do take a LITTLE more than just my toothbrush smile

Toothbrush #3DST39 by Bart on Sketchfab

(Tauricity) #8

Apple Truck by John Fino (tauricity) on Sketchfab

I'm traveling to see family and here is a full load of apples traveling to be packed to travel to you to be eaten. Travel.

(Abby Crawford) #9

This bag lets me travel pretty light - even fits under the airplane seat when I need it to.

3DST39 - My trusty travel bag by Abby Crawford on Sketchfab

(Mik1190) #10

Here my entry, a padlock used to keep more o less safe travel bags (and anything else):

padlock #3dst39 by mik1190 on Sketchfab

Tried using pbr materials smile . The mesh has been polished and textures edited, don't know if this is against rules...

edit: i see now there is also a matcap shading mode, cool!

(Bart) #11

Hi all,

thanks for playing smile Here are the winner and the new topic. Enjoy!

(Alban) #12

Late entry smile

Cosley turntable by alban on Sketchfab

(Bart) #13

Pink Floyd eh! I didn't know that smile Interesting choice of books too!