3D Scanning Thursday 48: Money!

(Bart) #1

The winner of 3DST47 "Weekend"

We only had one entry last week (not counting my own), so by default Jonathan Steyfkens is the winner smile

Tree Trunk by Jonathan Steyfkens on Sketchfab

Your $25 3D Hubs is on its way, Jonathan!

While it was fun, I don't think it really makes much sense for us to give away these vouchers if we have very few people participating. So from now on, I'll add one rule to the contest: I'd like to have 10 contestants minimum (not counting the Sketchfab crew who also post their stuff). Sounds fair?

This week's topic: Money!

Sack Of Money by uncle808us on Sketchfab

This weekend, you'll have to show us the money! Anything money related goes - do you have a crazy piggybank or a stash of odd foreign bank notes? Take your best shot at scanning them this weekend.

About 3D Scanning Thursday (3DST)

Welcome to the 3DST!

Hey, nice of you to join us! The 3DST is a weekly community challenge for 3D Scanning enthusiasts. Participating is about fun and honor, although we do offer a modest prize.

How do I participate?

We pick a new topic every week and you enter by creating a 3D scan using any tool you like ([here's a list of 3D scanning apps][scanning_apps] that you could use). Don't take the topic too literally, just let the topic be your inspiration for this week.

After uploading, tag your work with the 3DST48 tag so everyone can view the contest gallery. For extra fun, post your entry below (just write down the URL in a reply).

The submission deadline is Thursday before midnight.

What can I win?

3D Hubs is sponsoring the 3DST with a $25 3D printing coupon. Thanks guys!

Note: we'll only give away the prize if we have a minimum of 10 contestants.

Cool, anything else?

We only have a few additional rules:

• You can submit as many entries as you like.
  • Entries scanned before theme announcement are not ok.

That's about it! If you have any questions, let me know. Otherwise, have a great weekend and enjoy creating your 3D scans!

(Weston) #2

So, just to be clear. The due date is Thur. Jun. 4th?

(3dscan Kiev Ua) #3

1 rub 1964 by Scan3d.com.ua on Sketchfab

Russian imperial 5 kopek coin 1772 by Scan3d.com.ua on Sketchfab

(Bart) #4

Hi @weston, that's correct! Our 3DST always runs until the next Thursday.

(Jonathansty) #5

I wasn't actually expecting to receive a voucher because so little people participated but thanks anyway smile

(Bart) #6

Hi @jonathansty, yeah I added a new rule about a minimum number of contestants for that reason. As the rule wasn't in place before, it didn't feel fair to exlude you smile I'll send it to you tomorrow!

(Claudio Coutinho) #7

A nice idea.. BTW any knows of any good app for Android to make scans?

I have tried 123D Catch from Autodesk but does seem to work that well on my phone.

(Weston) #8

@claudiocoutinho the biggest factors are the camera on your phone and the collection technique. 123D Catch is all processed on Autodesk servers so the same algorithms and resources are used whether you have iOS or Android or Windows phone.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. I've found a big factor for me is ensuring good lighting to help reduce the exposure time, which will increase the clarity of the images.

(Bart) #9

I actually prefer to just upload the pictures to Autodesk Recap. I think it's the same technology under the hood, but somehow it gives better results for me. Their basic service with up to 50 photographs is free to use.

(Pabloserranobasterra) #10

Hi!, This time, I have something Archaeological AND scanned to share. And it WAS money.

Silver Denarius, Julia Mamaea (231 d.C) by Pablo Serrano Basterra on Sketchfab

If you think we are in a crisis today, just take a look at the Roman Empire in the III Century! That's why I place some ruins as background.

Hope enough people enter this contest. Thanks so much!

(Mik1190) #11

Good idea the minimum 10 partecipants for the prize.

Here is my entry for this week:

5 centesimi, old coin. by mik1190 on Sketchfab

(Claudio Coutinho) #12

I do have a S4 as well, but some reason I can't get a usable scan and the option where it shows you if you going around doesn't seem to me working properly.

But it might be a problem from my phone as well, since I'm using a CyanogemMod Rom.

I'm going to give a go to Recap and see how it works.

(Jonathansty) #13

How exactly are you guys scanning those coins? I tried scanning in some very oldish coins my dad collected but I don't get any good result at all. What should I pay attention to when scanning small objects?

(Pabloserranobasterra) #14

It was a bit difficult,
had to get a very diffuse light to avoid reflections, and very sharp and precise focus. Then, masking individually with Photoscan, processing with high detail and exporting to Blender for fine detail polish. Good luck!!!

(Mik1190) #15

As Pablo said it's a bit tricky.
In my case reflection was not a big issue, the coin was oxidied wink .
The coin was placed on a uniform blue table to semplify masking; then took in total 101 photos first of one side then the other, paying attention to take every bit of the thin borders, otherwise the software will have a hard time figuring that the photos are all of the same piece:

For camera alignment and dense point cloud generation i used all photos.
The biggest issue is the texture creation: even with an aperture of f16 not all the surface of the coin is in focus, sharp. So i excluded some photos and at the remaining i manually masked out the blurred parts.

(Bart) #16

Here's my entry: I found some old bank notes that I tried to spend, only to find that they were no longer valid smile

Money! by Bart on Sketchfab

(Jonathansty) #17

I hope you really didn't try spending those wink We have a whole box with these kind of bank notes.

(Abby Crawford) #18

The crispest bill I have, minted in Richmond, Virginia in 2013.

3DST48 - Dollar Bill by Abby Crawford on Sketchfab

(Bart) #19

I actually did - I had no idea they were no longer valid. Got me a funny look from the girl at the bar wink

@abbyec nice job! I've never seen anyone do that with a bank note before smile

(Abby Crawford) #20

I had a little more time on my hands today than I had expected, so here's a second one. My cat is an excellent model.

3DST48 - Cash Cat by Abby Crawford on Sketchfab