Sketchfab Forum

3D Scanning Thursday 50: 50!

(Bart) #1

The winner of 3DST49 "Toys"

Not too many entries this week, but those that made it were pretty cool. I asked @abbyec, winner of 3DST48, to pick her favorite:

I choose Phil Nolan's dragon scan. It's a tricky subject and he did a great job with it.

Double Dragon #3DST49 by philnolan3d on Sketchfab

As we didn't reach 10 entries, I'm afraid there's no price attached this week Phil, sorry!

This week's topic: 50

As this is the fiftieth time we do a 3DST, we decided to go a little meta on you: scan a 50! That could be a number 50 you spot on an interesting place, 50 bottles of beer (@pap makes a good chance in this case!), someone you know who has just turned 50..

And of course the chance of finding a suitable example embed for this topic is almost non-existent smile

About 3D Scanning Thursday (3DST)

Welcome to the 3DST!

Hey, nice of you to join us! The 3DST is a weekly community challenge for 3D Scanning enthusiasts. Participating is about fun and honor, although we do offer a modest prize.

How do I participate?

We pick a new topic every week and you enter by creating a 3D scan using any tool you like (here's a list of 3D scanning apps that you could use). Don't take the topic too literally, just let the topic be your inspiration for this week.

After uploading, tag your work with the 3DST50 tag so everyone can view the contest gallery. For extra fun, post your entry below (just write down the URL in a reply).

The submission deadline is Thursday before midnight.

What can I win?

3D Hubs is sponsoring the 3DST with a $25 3D printing coupon. Thanks guys!

Note: we'll only give away the prize if we have a minimum of 10 contestants.

Cool, anything else?

We only have a few additional rules:

• You can submit as many entries as you like.
  • Entries scanned before theme announcement are not ok.

That's about it! If you have any questions, let me know. Otherwise, have a great weekend and enjoy creating your 3D scans!

(Pierre-Antoine) #2

@bartv Challeeeenge accep... oh wait, I have to think about this wink

(Abby Crawford) #3

Here's my attempt at 50. Had to bend the rules of Scrabble a little bit to put "Thursday" on the board, but both that and "scanning" would win another 50 points on top of what the words would already make. Am I a nerd for word games? Yes. Yes, I am.

3DST50 - Fifty Points by Abby Crawford on Sketchfab

(Bart) #4

Clever! smile I still have to find a suitable one. I'm heading to Paris later this week, maybe I"ll find some inspiration there?

(Mauricesvay) #5

Here's my entry, it's my 50mm lens f/1.8. The large aperture is so nice for bokeh smile
For this scan I'm experimenting with re-topology in blender. I'm not totally happy with this version, so I'm working on a better one.

Canon 50mm f/1.8 Lens #3DST50 by Maurice S. on Sketchfab

(Samantha Porter) #6

I've wanted to submit to one of these for a while. I've also wanted to try a coin since the 'Money' theme. Results aren't bad, but I think it's possible to get some better definition. I may give it another go.

50 Cents by Samantha Porter on Sketchfab

(Waringlab) #7

Fun! We just happened to upload this artifact today. Crazy how it worked out. Nice looking out @james! There's also some annotations on it, for those who are interested in Southern industrial history. I know, not the sexiest topic...

Mandeville Mills 50th Anniversary Coin by waringlab on Sketchfab

Yes! An excuse to do another fire hydrant smiley

Fire Hydrant - 50th St & 30th Ave #3DST50 by James on Sketchfab

(Hepf) #9

50elef by hepf on Sketchfab

well, count them ...

@Hepf haha, very clever stuck_out_tongue

(Bart) #11

Did I just hear 'I'll write a tutorial about that'? :smile:

(Bart) #12

Haha that's so funny smile Don't forget to add the 3DST50 tag to participate!

(Mik1190) #13

Had a similar idea!

But then scanned this:

50 tiles #3dst50 by mik1190 on Sketchfab

(Bart) #14

Thanks for participating everyone!

@philnolan3d picked the winner. He wrote:

I'll pick the 50 cent coin by Samantha Porter. I'm surprised by the amount of detail she got out of a coin. It's also a very clean mesh.

3DST50 - 50 Cents by Samantha Porter on Sketchfab

I've given 3DST a lot of thought over the past few weeks and think it may be time to change our approach a little. See my message here:

http://forum.sketchfab.com/t/3d-scanning-thursday-the-next-step/2657/1