3D Scanning Thursday 51: Odd/weird Vehicle

3dst

(Chaitanyak) #1

Welcome to 3DST redux!

This week's topic: Odd/Funny Vehicle

This week the idea was, that since we are a global community, lets take a look at some of the quirky modes of transport available in each region!
If you can't think of anything, have a look in your neighbor's garage/backyard. You never know, maybe there's an old unicycle from back when they were in the circus!

Enjoy!

About 3D Scanning Thursday (3DST)

Welcome to the 3DST!

Hey, nice of you to join us! The 3DST is now a weekly community challenge for 3D Scanning enthusiasts.

After much discussion with the community it was decided that a fresh challenge will launch every week(like before).
However, from now on each challenge will last 2 full weeks, thus giving everyone enough time to produce great results.

Participating is about fun and honor, although we do offer a modest prize.

How do I participate?

We pick a new topic every week and you enter by creating a 3D scan using any tool you like (here's a list of 3D scanning apps that you could use). Don't take the topic too literally, just let the topic be your inspiration for this week. As discussed Bart has now started appointing community members as moderators for the 3DST, starting with me @Chaitanyak this month(3 weeks of 3DST) until Bart returns and we pick someone else from the community. I hope you like the topics we pick this month!

After uploading, tag your work with the 3DST51 tag so everyone can view the contest gallery. For extra fun, post your entry below (just write down the URL in a reply).

The submission deadline is Thursday the 30th before midnight.

3DST52 will be launched on the 24th so you may take part in that as well! just remember to tag your respective entries accordingly.

What can I win?

The prize will now be a generous Amazon voucher, specific to the winner's region's amazon site.
So you can now get any 3d/non3d prize you like!

Cool, anything else?

We only have a few additional rules:

You can submit as many entries as you like.
Entries scanned before theme announcement are not ok.
That's about it! If you have any questions, let me know. Otherwise, have a great weekend and enjoy creating your 3D scans!

3D Scanning Thursday - the next step?
Community Calendar - all upcoming activities
(Alban) #2

That is a great theme, thanks @chaitanyak!

So believe it or not, I just scanned another great car in the same parking lot at the Pontiac firebird. I scanned it before theme announcement, but was still sitting in draft mode, so here it is! Anyone can help me identify what car is it?

American car #3DST51 by alban on Sketchfab

(Chaitanyak) #3

that is wicked!!
corvette of some kind?

(Mauricesvay) #4

Hi guys, here's my entry for this new 3DST! Great to see this new version of the challenge!

Autolib 3DST51 by Maurice S. on Sketchfab

(Chaitanyak) #5

love it. hmm electric cars are a good theme too..

(Alban) #6

Entry number 2!

Dodge Diplomat #3DST51 by alban on Sketchfab

(Chaitanyak) #7

not proper entry material.. but here are my single shot scans of my dog's wheelchair.

Mulan and her wheel chair 001 #3dst51 by Chaitanya Krishnan on Sketchfab

and

Mulan and her wheel chair 002 #3dst51 by Chaitanya Krishnan on Sketchfab

(Nataliak) #8

Awww is she injured or she is always in it?

That's a pretty great contraption!

(Chaitanyak) #9

she injured her back in November.. so her rear legs were paralysed.
goes for her walks in this.. few minutes everyday.. rest of the time she crawls around the house like a slug smile

there are signs of recovery.. she's started to get involuntary movement in her legs now.

the contraption was a blessing.. i thought i'd have to google it and DIY something with pipes.. but the hospital put me in touch with a guy who makes this sort of stuff for them

(Gerpho) #10

Hi
Here's my entry to this 3DST. it's the famous monopoly racing car token. Weird isn't it ? smile Well, it is a vehicle after all !

Monopoly racing car - Kurtis Kraft ? - #3DST51 by Gerpho on Sketchfab

The debate about what original car this token was inspired from is still running. Som say that it's from the Kurtis Kraft Midget in the late '30s.Quite an odd racing car !
Well IMO it seems quite similar to the token, so I'll stick to that. Here's a picture of the modern version of the thing :

(Chaitanyak) #11

nice entry @gerpho was wondering what it was smile

(Gerpho) #12

Thanks.
It was so obvious to me that I disdn't explain at first (my son asks me to play monopoly very often with him). Then I thought that maybe it needed a few explanations. Apparently It was the case.

Quick and dirty. It would probably need A LOT of photos to get right

Abandoned Bike #3DST51 by James on Sketchfab

(Gerpho) #14

IMO You're trying to do the most difficult thing in terms of photogrametry worried : thin spokes (probably impossible, whatever the number of photos), thin metal plates, shiny tubes.
Nevertheless the projection of the spokes on the bark of the tree gives an interesting abstract texture effect smile

(Chaitanyak) #15

looks pretty neat @james .. i've had worse results smile
still seems like a winning subject for the theme!

@gerpho is right about the metal spokes.. i tried shooting my motorbike(which i custom painted a few years back).. but the spokes and suspension kept getting messed up

(Samantha Porter) #16

Hi everyone! As the winner of the previous contest it is apparently up to me to pick this week's winner. It was a tough decision, but after consulting the team of excavators at the archaeological dig I am currently at, we've decided that the abandoned bike by @james wins for difficulty and for being an interesting and creative subject. One person even said it spoke to their soul. Congrats!

@port0228 Hurray!!! Thanks smile

I may be Staff, but I will shamelessly accept this. Looking forward to judging 52!

(Chaitanyak) #18

Excellent choice @port0228 that was one of my favorites as well smile
Congrats @james , @nataliak will be in touch about the prize!

Well done everyone else as well!

(Nataliak) #19

Awesome!

Excellent ...and pun-tastic choice @port0228 wink

Thanks everyone for participating! smile

(Andy lewis) #20

Certainly is! I think it's actually an Opel GT from 1968-73

Cheers!

AndyL