3DST35 - "New and Improved!"

(Bart) #1

We had a lively debate on our forum on the format of the 3D Scanning Thursday this week. As a result, we've decided to try out a new approach.

The biggest change is the timing: we'll now announce the new topic on Friday and give you until Thursday to submit your entry. As many participants explained, they needed more time and adding a full weekend would help.

There was also concensus about picking the winner by public vote: it's too easy to cast multiple votes and as such, the winner might not always be the best made or most artistic entry. We've decided to let the winner of our previous round pick the next winner. We will ask them to write a few lines about why they feel this is this week's best work. The winner will be announced on Friday too.

Finally, we'll put create a Community Calendar on the forum that will list all upcoming events and community activities.

With all that said, here's the first announcement of the New & Improved 3DST smile

Welcome to 3D Scanning Thursday (3DST)!

Hey, nice of you to join us! The 3DST is a weekly community challenge for 3D Scanning enthusiasts. Participating is about fun and honor, although we do offer a modest prize.

How do I participate?

We pick a new topic every week and you enter by creating a 3D scan using any tool you like (here's a list of 3D scanning apps that you could use). The topic for this week is New & Improved! Don't take it too literally, just let the topic be your inspiration for this week.

After uploading, tag your work with the 3DST35 tag so everyone can view the contest gallery. For extra fun, post your entry below (just write down the URL in a reply).

The submission deadline is Thursday before midnight.

What can I win?

3D Hubs is sponsoring the 3DST with a $25 3D printing coupon. Thanks guys!

Cool, anything else?

We only have a few additional rules:

• You can submit as many entries as you like.
  • Entries scanned before theme announcement are not ok.

That's about it! If you have any questions, let me know. Otherwise, have a great weekend and enjoy creating your 3D scans!

Smashies - Fantasy Cereals by on Sketchfab

Community Calendar - all upcoming activities
How should we improve our 3D Scanning Thursday?
(Tauricity) #2

Here ya go. See, I guess I didn't nee all that extra time... I just needed to use the idea I already had for "Winter", but didn't get around to.

Ojibwe Snowshoes by John Fino (tauricity) on Sketchfab

(Oh and it's "new and improved" b/c the lacing is a plastic-based product. Lighter and sturdier than leather lacing. Easier to lace too. But doesn't stand up to UV light as well. Gotta varnish 'em yet.)

(Alban) #3

Here is my entry. Shooting this one was quite fun, I was standing in the middle of the road in between rolling cars, hopping the police wouldn't come back too fast. New and improved, because I shot it with my new Iphone.

NYPD car 3DST35 by alban on Sketchfab

(Alie Nmantis) #4

Green Leaf by ALIENmantis on Sketchfab

New Synogonium sp. leaf smile
I hoped it would turn up better, but at least I tried XD

(Luis Rodriguez) #5

Some days I do feel "New and Improved". Maybe this was one of them!

[Edit: fixed the embed - edit the message to see how I did it. Bart]
[Thanks Bart I was wondering how that had happened...Luis]

(Crlnvl) #6

Here's my entry

My computer by crlnvl on Sketchfab

It's not that new but it's improved ! I added a SSD this christmas smiley I need to swap that old HD6950 for a new GPU (GTX970 or 980 I guess).

(Abby Crawford) #7

Here's a scan of my new cat, Atticus. Thankfully he sleeps like a log and didn't fidget while I was creeping around taking pictures of him. I've tried using him as a subject multiple times and this is my best - most improved - scan. smiley_cat

My new cat by Abby Crawford on Sketchfab

(Andy lewis) #8

My mind's a blank! open_mouth

I would make this my entry....

Skanect selfie. New version by Pot8oSh3D on Sketchfab

....except Skanect doesn't seem to have improved!! LOL

Loving the cat, Abby

Cheers!

AndyL

(Mik1190) #9

I typed 3dst35 on the main page but only 3 results are showing?

After a failed attempt with something else here's my entry, a blood pressure monitor (i know i don't stand a chance compared to Gerpho engine blush )

Blood pressure monitor 3DST35 by mik1190 on Sketchfab

New device and improved measurement compared to another one. Improved/fixed also the model with some sculpting. Is allowed to enhance the scan with other 3d apps (Blender, 3ds max, etc...)? If yes until wich point?

(Bart) #10

You should use the tags to search for all the entries: https://sketchfab.com/tags/3dst35

(Bart) #11

Here's my entry:

My son got this Lego crane for this 7th birthday. After building it, he added several details to it like additional lighting. He improved his new toy smile

Lego Crane #3DST35 by Bart on Sketchfab

How should we improve our 3D Scanning Thursday?
(Lepdecor) #12

M-1 #3DST35 by Lepdecor on Sketchfab

(Gerpho) #13

Hmm... It seems I overlooked posting my entry here.
So there it is :
Marbore jet motor, New type of motor for the young (at that time) Turbomeca company, for the new jet airplane industry.
Improved loading time.

Marbore jet engine #3DST35 by Gerpho on Sketchfab

(Gerpho) #14

Hey, Bart !
Have you seen Lepdecor's entry above ? Do you understand why I asked for bilingual comments to the models smiley

(how do you spell "new and improved" with a cyrillic alphabet ? )

(Bart) #15

Hey all,

I just announced the winner of this round and our next topic. Head on over to 3DST36!