Sketchfab Forum

#3DST37: Manhole Covers

(Bart) #1

The winner of 3DST36 "Romance"

I invited Abby, winner of 3DST35, to pick this week's winner and tell us a bit about his choice. She says:

I choose HoangHiepVu's rose scan as the winner of 3DST36. It was both a challenging and beautiful subject that looks great. And a classic symbol of romance!

Rose #3DST36 by HoangHiepVu on Sketchfab

Congrats @HoangHiepVu! The $25 3D Hubs voucher is coming your way.

Check out all the entries of 3DST36 here.

This week's topic: Manhole Covers

Abby had a great suggestion for this week's topic that will require you to leave your house or office: Manhole covers. I've never paid much attention to them, but some are real works of art! Go have a look on your street and submit yours (don't get run over!).

Manhole Sculpture, Uni Stuttgart by Jeffrey Tuhtan on Sketchfab

About 3D Scanning Thursday (3DST)

Welcome to the 3DST!

Hey, nice of you to join us! The 3DST is a weekly community challenge for 3D Scanning enthusiasts. Participating is about fun and honor, although we do offer a modest prize.

How do I participate?

We pick a new topic every week and you enter by creating a 3D scan using any tool you like ([here's a list of 3D scanning apps][scanning_apps] that you could use). Don't take the topic too literally, just let the topic be your inspiration for this week.

After uploading, tag your work with the 3DST36 tag so everyone can view the contest gallery. For extra fun, post your entry below (just write down the URL in a reply).

The submission deadline is Thursday before midnight.

What can I win?

3D Hubs is sponsoring the 3DST with a $25 3D printing coupon. Thanks guys!

Cool, anything else?

We only have a few additional rules:

• You can submit as many entries as you like.
  • Entries scanned before theme announcement are not ok.

That's about it! If you have any questions, let me know. Otherwise, have a great weekend and enjoy creating your 3D scans!

Community Calendar - all upcoming activities
3DST36 - Romance
(Transpose) #2

I have manhole covers, do I have to upload them, or can I just post rendered images. Can't risk them being ripped from the site, as they are for sale. Also, they are very dense models, and unable to be uploaded

(Bart) #3

All entries have to be uploaded to Sketchfab.

(Bart) #4

My two entries:

Manhole #3DST37 by Bart on Sketchfab

Manhole cover 2 #3DST37 by Bart on Sketchfab

(Alban) #5

My manh manh entry

Manh Manh by alban on Sketchfab

(Bart) #6

Such a clever name wink

(Abby Crawford) #7

The most interesting manhole cover that I've seen in Santa Cruz so far...

3DST37 - Circles in circles by Abby Crawford on Sketchfab

(Mik1190) #8

My entry, a simple manhole on a "countryside" road:

Simple manhole 3DST37 by mik1190 on Sketchfab

Would be nice if the 3d viewer has also a solid untextured shading, some details (especially in 3d scans) are much more visible:

(Bart) #9

Yeah I guess that could be useful sometimes. Also, you could improve the quality of your model a bit with this tip:

http://blog.sketchfab.com/post/109566722269/fix-it-friday-b-o-train-station

(Bart) #10

Hey folks! I just announced the winner:

Enjoy the next round, and have a great weekend!