Sketchfab Forum

#3DST38: Thumbs Up!

(Bart) #1

The winner of 3DST37 "Manhole Covers"

I invited Hoang Hiep VU, winner of 3DST37, to pick this week's winner and tell us a bit about his choice. He says:

I hesitate between the models of mik1190 and dtmcnamara. Finally, I choose the model of dtmcnamara, because this model captures small details, such as grass on the cover, and especially two handles. So congratulation to dtmcnamara !

Manhole Cover #3DST37 by dtmcnamara on Sketchfab

Congrats @dtmcnamara! The $25 3D Hubs voucher is coming your way.

Check out all the entries of 3DST37 here.

This week's topic: Thumbs Up!

In celebration of our integration with Facebook, there can be only one topic: Thumbs up! You may need to ask for a little help with this one wink

(Half of) My own hand #3DST28 by Gerpho on Sketchfab

About 3D Scanning Thursday (3DST)

Welcome to the 3DST!

Hey, nice of you to join us! The 3DST is a weekly community challenge for 3D Scanning enthusiasts. Participating is about fun and honor, although we do offer a modest prize.

How do I participate?

We pick a new topic every week and you enter by creating a 3D scan using any tool you like ([here's a list of 3D scanning apps][scanning_apps] that you could use). Don't take the topic too literally, just let the topic be your inspiration for this week.

After uploading, tag your work with the 3DST38 tag so everyone can view the contest gallery. For extra fun, post your entry below (just write down the URL in a reply).

The submission deadline is Thursday before midnight.

What can I win?

3D Hubs is sponsoring the 3DST with a $25 3D printing coupon. Thanks guys!

Cool, anything else?

We only have a few additional rules:

• You can submit as many entries as you like.
  • Entries scanned before theme announcement are not ok.

That's about it! If you have any questions, let me know. Otherwise, have a great weekend and enjoy creating your 3D scans!

Community Calendar - all upcoming activities
#3DST37: Manhole Covers
(Abby Crawford) #2

Here's my go at it:

3DST38 - Thumbs up! by Abby Crawford on Sketchfab

(Bart) #3

Haha that's clever! smile

(Loft22) #4

Hello everyone!

Here we are -

Thumbs UP (boy)
by LOFT22
on Sketchfab

Thumbs UP (boy) by LOFT22 on Sketchfab

(Loft22) #5

and our girl

Thumbs UP (girl) by LOFT22 on Sketchfab

Thumbs UP (girl)
by LOFT22
on Sketchfab

(Bart) #6

Hey @loft22 - they're cool, but...

Entries scanned before theme announcement are not ok.

Maybe you have time to create some new scans?

Cheers!

(Bart) #7

First try, shot by my 7 year old son wink

Thumbs up! #3DST38 by Bart on Sketchfab

(Bart) #8

And my 2nd try, this time I took the shots myself. It's quite a task, making sure the camera catches everything, not moving etc wink

Thumbs up! #3DST38 by Bart on Sketchfab

(Alban) #9

My entry!

William's thumb by alban on Sketchfab

(Luis Rodriguez) #10

First scan for ThumbsUp 3DST38:

Thumb up! by Luis Rodriguez on Sketchfab

Second one is cooking... just done!

ThumbUp! fail - 3D, Money and Power by Luis Rodriguez on Sketchfab

Here you see everything but my thumb. Well both were selfies so I guess machine had a hard time keeping track of everything.

The are both nice tries that obey to different computer vision approaches. On one hand infra-red lectures are taken in first 3D scan, allowing an accurate read of surrounding space, and it is all done "live". Camera has not too much resolution in my case but that is changing right now. Used for computer vision and reaction.

The second scan is made out of reading and understanding space by capturing 2D pictures. Computer process is required, but allows an instant view when many sensors (cameras) applied. Amazing results and different computation strategy.

Well just word thoughts here. These are my entries!

(Crlnvl) #11

Blue Thumb - #3DST38 by crlnvl on Sketchfab

Here's my entry for this 3D scan. I tried not to move but it is difficult ! I did some post processing with Meshmixer and I colored everything in blue with Gimp.

forgot to post here

Kind of disappointing PhotoScan result person_frowning

Thumbs Up #3DST38 by PadreZippo on Sketchfab

(Mik1190) #13

Any news about the 3dst39?

(Bart) #14

Whoops! I got a little overwhelmed with work last Friday, sorry folks! (But it is good to see that people area asking for the next round wink.

Here's the new announcement: