As part of an introductory 3D course my students had to make a medieval building with Blender v2.8. To facilitate the assessment of these 43 students, each had to create their UV texture. I then lightened the render by creating textures for Mask type transparency.
Which increased the upload to 62 textures! I was amazed that Sketchfab could handle such a large number of textures. Your technology on the web continues to amaze me!
An observation that I would like to share: my students had to experiment individually with their building on Sketchfab and some pointed out to me that their texture was missing even if it had been packaged in Blender v2.8. This is not a real problem since they can be added later.
When I put online the .blend scene containing the 43 buildings, I also had textures that were missing but also images of textures associated with the bad nomenclature. Let’s explain: a texture used for its RGB layers called “Bob.png” could have as complement “Bob_MAT.png” for the opacity mask image.
On some buildings, the image used by Sketchfab for the opacity was called “Bob_MAT.png” but the texture and his thumbnail was in fact “Bob.png” in the texture manager. By deleting “Bob_MAT.png” with the texture manager Sketchfab also deleted “Bob.png” and I had to download the two images. Then, when I applied the newly downloaded texture to a model that contained more than one UV map, it was the bad UV that was exploited.
It is not complicated to adjust. It’s only that moment, I thought it wouldn’t work pcq I used too many texture images.
In the context of my introductory course, the project seems very interesting to explore on Sketchfab in virtual reality.