A question for all the point cloud experts out there!

point-cloud

(Shim3) #1

Hi,

I have been trying to use the 3ds max exporter to upload a model to SKF , but there is an error of " no valid object are selected to export " - does anyone has a expirience with exporting point cloud from 3ds to skf?

3ds max doesn't seem to have the ability to export point cloud to obj for some reason...

Thank You
Shim

(Waleguene) #2

Hi @Shim3,

I'm not very familiar with point clouds in 3dsMax, is there any specific object to handle them or they are handled like regular Editable Mesh or Editable Poly ?

For OBJ, I remember having issue when importing .obj files containing points and lines so it seems that 3dsMax doesn't support them.

Could you send me a .max file with a very small point cloud object so that I can take a look ?

Thanks!

(Shim3) #3

waleguene ,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Unfortunately 3dsmax will not export point cloud, apparently it is only for visualization purposes (!?).

I have been trying to export PLY and OBJ with rhino3d and got the same results " error exporting file".

The purpose for doing so it to combine several point cloud models that i have scanned into one file and upload to sketchfab.

Any recommendation on what software can do so?

Thanks again!
Shim