@zugzug, @electrocactus I am a bit confused with your issues here (if you have any?) so let me try to clarify how we process images.
We currently rely on the browser to decode images natively, which means that all images will have to be either jpg or png:
- at upload:
- any jpeg/png image will be unmodified (except for metadata being stripped away)
- any other format that we support (to name the main ones: tga, tiff, dds, psd) will be converted to a png image
- we recently changed the whole image processing code to have a better "premult alpha" strategy for our needs (to avoid going balck for pixel fully transparent)
- we import all images we find in your upload
- in the 3d settings:
- we rely on the browser so we only support jpg and png and we added tga as it was requested by artists
The bottom line is that we don't have the same format support depending on when you want to import an asset which is not very user friendly, I agree.
Regarding psd, it's not clear to me if we really support the format well (and I'd probably say that we actually do not support it well). If you have specific issues with psd, please let us know so that we can try to improve it.
Tiff should however be well supported.
Finally, if you currently reupload your model, you'll lose all your previous textures/materials but this is going to change very soon so that should make the import process for not browser-friendly formats easier!