Animating textures (or alternative workaround)

I’m working on a model for a client and am currently animating it.

I need the needles to appear to be drawing these lines:

I’ve rigged the needles and paper and they work nicely as an uploaded .blend file. The issue I’m facing is how to make the lines appear after the needles as the paper scrolls.

In Blender I would use texture animation to move the lines of the paper however it seems this is not supported in Sketchfab?

If so, I hoped you may be able suggest an alternative. Perhaps it is possible to mask the lines before the needles in some way?

Thank you in advance!

Hi there,

Cool project. We don’t support animated textures/UVs at the moment.

One possibility is to use planes to emulate the animation. Here’s an example (which you can download to inspect. The comment thread also has some details):

You could also use our Timeframe (stop motion) feature:

1 Like

Hi James,

Thank you for your reply. Assuming I understand correctly, I’m not sure either of these methods will work for this particular animation.

The paper animation has 400 frames so with the planes solution, to create a smooth animation, I believe I would need to add a separate .png file for each frame? Also, in the example you have shared each image is on a separate plane. I’ve animated one plane to follow a curve path so unfortunately I don’t believe layering a large number of planes would work in this case.

I’ve looked into the Timeframe solution however it seems each frame requires a separate version of the model? I’m not sure if this would be viable for a reasonably complex model animated for 400-500 frames.

I’d appreciate any further feedback and/or suggestions. Do you think Sketchfab will support texture animation in the future? It would be a great feature to have!

Thank you