Arena of the Damned

(Jin Yun) #1

Hi everyone,

First time entering a contest and first post on Sketchfab :slight_smile:
I am excited to be a part of this and am looking forward to seeing everyone's ideas come to fruition.

Story and Idea:
An arena corrupted by the Legion. This is where powerful warriors and mages come to die.
Serving both as a conduit for souls and entertainment for the bloodthirsty army of the Legion, the arena pits captured heroes against impossible fights to collect their souls.
Whether the heroes are forced to fight their allies or against deadly beings from the Twisting Nether, it matters not as long as blood is spilled.
There is no escape - especially after death, as the souls of the fallen combatants are collected to fuel their portals and engines of destruction.

I wanted to really drive home the idea that the Legion is very cruel and sadistic.
The Legion only captures the strong and sacrifices them for fuel - as for the weak, they are put to work as slaves. This ensures that there are no strong fighters to oppose them, and at the same time demoralizes the enemy forces.

Plan:
The arena will have to be on the smaller scale as I am a slow worker and do not have too much time. I was initially thinking of a big coliseum, but felt I could portray this "execution grounds" better if it was smaller, to ensure that there was nowhere to run to.
With that, there will be traps, spikes - think black metal, fel energy, the opposite of The Crusader's Coliseum.
Lots of damage on the walls and grounds from the fights and combatants trying to claw their way out, demonic runes and anti-magic enchants so spellcasters won't be able to touch the crowds.

I will be posting up a greybox and WIPs soon :slight_smile:

(Fiery25123) #2

Oooh, this sounds super evil! Looking forward to see how it goes! :o

Love the backstory and the planning! Can't wait for the WIPs!

(Michael Calvert) #4

This sounds good! Looking forward to the sketches for this.

(Phaedrus) #5

excited to see it :slight_smile:

(Jin Yun) #6

Finally got some chance to work on it! Here are some 2D concepts, moodboard and a very basic greybox.
After populating the greybox and refining it a bit, it's time to make all the models.

(Bart) #7

Hi, how's your entry coming along? We've just posted a quick update on the main contest thread - please check it out.