[Artist in Residence] Mechanized Sentry

artist-in-residence

(Snefer) #1

Hi everyone! I am Tor Frick, principal artist at Machinegames,and I am teaming up with sketchfab for a personal piece. You can see some of my previous work at my portfolio or my artstation or instagram, aswell as my sketchfab.

I am going to create a small robot sentry, which I will build and animate in Modo, bake out to a game res model and texture using the Quixel suite. I will be sharing the process with you guys here at the forum, and will try to answer any questions you might have. :smile:

I am going for a really dirty and worn style, with an analogue and mechanical look, sleek and clean this is not! I am taking lots of inspiration from real world machinery, muddy, worn and built to last. Here are some of the references I pulled together for this piece:

Thanks for checking this out!

[Artist in Residence] The Dust Pirate
(Bart) #2

(Bart) #3

Welcome on board Tor! We're excited to witness you working on your project :smile:

(Shaderbytes) #4

looking forward to it

(Nomadking) #5

Looking forward to this Tor! Your Artstation work is simply amazing - it took all of my willpower to resist spamming 'Like' on your whole portfolio :wink:

The engine in the bottom right of your ref sheet is very cool looking, any idea where it's from?

(Snefer) #6

Thanks alot! That engine is from some miniature kitbash set I think, from some maschinen krieger stuff (dont kno where from exactly, as I have it in a reference folder)

(Snefer) #7

This is my first mockup of the sentry. When doing something like this I prefer to block it out and do some quick test animations early on to get a feel for the complexity of the model, and make sure everything works. Nowthat im happy with this quick blockout I will fill in some of the blanks and gaps around the animated parts, and start working on the highpoly model.

Modo render:

Sketchfab model:

Turret01 Blockout by Tor Frick on Sketchfab

(Krzysztof Zwolinski) #8

I read "One-Texture Environment" 4-5 years ago on Polycount forum, and this piece of knowledge blown my mind, and helps me since that day making fast mobile AR apps so thanks for sharing :wink:.
I cant wait to see yours model , and what another piece of knowledge you share now.

(Snefer) #9

thats awesome to hear! :smiley: Hopefully you will find some more useful tips in this thread then :smile:

(Saphires) #10

Really looking forward to this, promising start already! :smile:

(Shaderbytes) #11

Its the texturing process I want to hear the most info about .. modeling is easy .. texturing .. not so much :wink:

(Johnson Martin) #12

The blocking looks nice. Can't wait to see the High Poly progress. I love hard surface modeling threads. :smile:

Your ArtStation profile is amazing. :open_mouth:

(Electrocactus) #13

So far so good, I really like the animation!
Can't wait for when the low poly stuff starts.
Is there any particular reason, why you choose Quixel instead of Substance Painter?

(Snefer) #14

thanks alot! Will post some highpoly work on it today!

(Snefer) #15

thanks! Hmm, well, they both have their strengths, Quixel have/had better performance on high resolution painting, and the scanned materials are very nice. It fit nicely into my personal pipeline, but I do intend to give substance a shot aswell, to evaluate it. Preferrably I would learn both, but you know...time.

(Sparkypillow) #16

This looks very promising, can't wait to see more of this! :smile:

I do have a question though, how do you come up with all the details such as the moving parts, the handles, and the hydraulics at the back? Does every single detail have its purpose, or is it really just 'whatever looks good'?

My guess is that it comes from years of practice and lots of reference images.. I've been trying to learn how to come up with details like that, but I find it really hard to make things that both make sense physically, look good, and add something to the overall shape of the model. Is there any trick to it?

(Krzysztof Zwolinski) #17

I know this is early stage but for me animation is too much organic, I expect that this would have animation like AMEE 2-3 frame move for every part and not make them in flow but rather is sequence, this open that, and now open that ... etc

*AMEE best model ever in my opinion.
** /my opinion/ by Harry Callahan :wink:

(Snefer) #18

Most of it is practise I suppose. But its also an area that I feel that I lack in general, so I am trying to push that aspect on purpose at the moment. Its actually all very simple mechanics, very few parts that are in chains of moving parts, its almost only simple parenting of objects to eachother, some simple rotations. All very simplistic.

when it comes to the detailing, i do most of it from my head, but then again my head is filled with references. I look at references alot, and i always stop and take photos of random machines and vehicles in the street. Things get stuck after awhile. :smile:

(Snefer) #19

yeah, its just a testanimation to make sure there is no clipping etc, no timing or curves editing at all :smiley: But yeah, that is def an awesome reference, thanks! I will probably add more moving parts aswell as the design gets more complex and I have more small elements to play with :smile:

(Snefer) #20

Here is a first shot of the start of the highpoly. I am using a mix of normal sub-d modelling, with edge weighting, and compining that with normal lowpoly geometry and modos round edge shader, to be able to model as fast as possible, without having to compromise on shapes. One downside of this is that you dont really see the end result without rendering it, so for example the highpoly model without the shader looks a bit more simplistic.

Tomorrow I will be livestreaming some of the modelling on my twitch channel at 8 pm GMT+1
Stream link