[Artist in Residence] Pirate Treasure

artist-in-residence

(Paulchambers3d) #21

Very cool. Really fascinated by your process. A couple of questions on your sculpting process.

I assume you start with a low-res mesh. Do you bake back to that original mesh after sculpting or do you re-topologize a new low-res mesh based on where your sculpting takes you?

If you re-use the original low-res mesh, do you make sure that sculpting is only ever subtractive (so that it remains within the original low-res cage) or do you also add height as well - say with a clay brush?

I would assume to work quickly that you try to bake back down to your original mesh as much as possible and therefore keep sculpting limited to more surface details.

(Tribble42) #22

Noob question here: Could you share a bit your workflow for retopology ?

@paulchambers3d was faster than me :slight_smile:

(Tob Sn08) #23

@paulchambers3d

I do start with a low poly mesh and I usually try to have it very close to completion or finished. For non organic models I usually bake the details on top without any retopology work. For Organic work I usually start with the high poly and work my way to the low poly.

For the sculpting itself I usually only sculpt surface/edge details. You can without any problems sculpt some information on top of the mesh but everything that affects the silhouette of the model is and should already be in the low poly.

For baking itself I create a cage in Maya that is slightly bigger than the low poly to catch all the details while baking.

Here are my steps that I usually take to create a normal map:

@tribble42 I am trying to avoid retopology for n on organic models to save time, but I might share some workflows for that a little later in the project if it comes up :wink:

5 Cannon Bake

As promised the low Poly with the normal map applied.

I forgot to include the skull on the cannon ball, so it didn't bake

(Paulchambers3d) #24

Wow! Thank you for the breakdown. I'm sure everyone will find it amazingly helpful!

(Tribble42) #25

Thanks! :slight_smile:

(Mrrik) #26

This project looks super cool and I really like your breakdown. Are you making this also compatible for smartphones?

(Tob Sn08) #27

@mrrik I am not sure but I think Sketchfab runs on smartphones if that is what you asking?
If I would do this for a mobile game though I would lower the polycount and texture resolution a little and probably store most of the color and light information in the diffuse map to save performance.

6 Cannon Color

Here is the final cannon texture in all its Sketchfab viewer glory :smiley:

I have done all the texturing in 3dCoat. I think sketchfab comes quite close to what I painted there in terms of materials, colors and rendering.

Here is a little breakdown of how I start texturing an asset.

I do all this before applying materials. I think it adds a lot to the stylized look even though I am using PBR. For the rest I really just choose and apply materials, paint dirt, wear and tear, add some story to the textures and color correct.

(Dark Minaz) #28

thanks :stuck_out_tongue: that really helps, got to try that out later today

(Shaderbytes) #29

It the second time I see this gradient overlay workflow now , I first saw it in the dota 2 asset art guideline. Seems to be a very powerful effect to popping and grounding the model. Is it done in world space or object space and then baked to uv's?

I need to go look how to do it in blender now :wink:

(Saphires) #30

Wow this is awesome, the breakdowns are so useful! Really looking forward to next updates :smiley:

@shaderbytes: Check this for gradient maps in Blender: http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2151497/#Comment_2151497

(Shaderbytes) #31

Thanks @saphires I almost never use cycles because all my models are built for external rendering , but I do know how to use it if needed.

I went and figured it out using blender internal , was not to difficult. Create a material , create a texture data slot , select "blend" as the texture type. This will reveal some inspector controls where you can choose vertical and the progression mode like quadratic etc. In image mapping I set x,z to none and y to z. In the influence tab I then just selected negative and blend multiply and set the influence color to black.

(Paulchambers3d) #32

Renders nicely on my smartphone, even in VR, but yes - great tips on optimizing for mobile!

(Tob Sn08) #33

@shaderbytes I use the gradient tool in 3dCoat (one of the options of the fill tool /paintbucket)

But there are many ways to do this.
Max/Maya: http://polycount.com/discussion/80257/baking-a-gradient-map

And I think you can use an inverted dome mesh in xNormal and bake it from there.

But I try to not switch applications so much to not interrupt my workflow so I just do in in 3dCoat.

(Shaderbytes) #34

Nice to know it is in 3DCoat, I have the software but am still a noob in using it. I will check it out.

cheers

(Chaitanyak) #35

nice technique, thanks for sharing it with us!

(Tob Sn08) #36

07 - Chest

I spent the weekend coming up with a design for a treasure chest. I will post a more detailed update about the creation of this, but this is the sculpted result:

I designed the lock mechanism to resemble the shape of a kraken to give the viewer the idea who the treasure was stolen from :wink:

(Shaderbytes) #37

That looks great!

(Nomadking) #38

This is coming alone great. Lots of useful tips and some really nice looking results.

Thanks @TOBSn08!

(Tob Sn08) #39

08 - Treasure of the Kraken

Thank you, happy you like it :smiley: So as promised here is the final baked down and textured treasure chest. Have a look:

The pirates were succesful stealing the treasure chest from the Kraken's lair but along the way the eyes lit up and the Kraken is on its way to get it back.

I had a lot of fun making this one. I wanted to have a treasure chest as one of the hero pieces of the scene (it's also super big, the key hole is half a human tall). I have found a lot of really nice chests on the Internet that I liked and tried to find nice shapes and colors that would work on my chest.

I especially liked the idea of a skull/figure that also functions as a key hole. I then had to get the Kraken shape in there and found this image:

I immediately saw the key hole working for this kind of Kraken and started modeling.

(this took me quite a while to get the shapes that I wanted and to make it look like it belonged to a Kraken)

I always use a lot of reference that I personally like and take it as inspiration to add my own twist or come up with an entirely new deisgn. For me this is faster than concepting, which is perfect for a smaller project like this one.

(Moffafa) #40

Amazing work!