Artist Picks: Rocketeer

artist-picks

(Brian Bedford) #1

Hello everyone!

I'm not a hugely active forum user, but I thought this artist picks idea is actually pretty neat. Dmitry Grenbenkov very graciously nominated me along with some other really amazing artists, so I am happy to oblige. As @kody3d mentioned in his art picks thread, I could very easily just link my entire Favorites page and geek out, but I'll try and reign myself in.
Here are my picks (and nominations):

black_medium_small_square ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ black_medium_small_square
Everyone loves a good vehicle model or spaceship, but @constructidecepticon caught my eye with this very well-crafted little flying mech. Stylizing hard-surface and mechanical subject matter can be a pretty tricky process, but this mini-jet reads incredibly well and just oozes personality. The fact that this is just a flying version of an equally impressive (and eventually animated) mech walker is just icing on the cake.

Chubbyharrier by constructidecepticon on Sketchfab

black_medium_small_square ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ black_medium_small_square

I may not be a League of Legends player (I'm a Dota junkie myself), but I enjoyed the hell out of this model when the LoL character art challenge rolled around. @haze did a fantastic texturing job in addition to utilizing alphas in a pretty creative way to sell the ectoplasmic features of character. That little ghost is just adorable.

Ghost Hunter Lulu by haZe on Sketchfab

@jgfab Has some pretty fantastic models posted to Sketchfab, but the Beverly Crusher model was the first one I stumbled across and ended up as one of my early favorites. Recently I've been really enjoying hand-painted texturing styles that are a little more subtle than what that method usually results in. This TNG model is a great example of using gradient tones and low-poly geometry edges to define lighting and plane shifts indicated in textures themselves which results in a very clean look. I'm also a giant Trek fan, so there's that too.

Dr. Beverly Crusher by JGfab on Sketchfab

I really like @mafubash 's expert texture work. The hand-painted method is fairly common these days, but his larger models don't really rely on super defined painting and instead uses appealing gradients and color changes that make for a much more understated style.

Desert Girl by Mafubash on Sketchfab

I know @timvizesi already posted his picks, but I have to give him a call-back to this phenomenal Firewatch art piece. I've been blown away by some of the really unusual ways other Sketchfab users have utilizes the 3D medium to create really unique, illustrative and graphic work and his submissions are no exception. For someone who claims to be "3D hobbyist", you have a better eye for value and composition than a lot of pros I know, dude. wink

Firewatch Fan Art by tzeshi on Sketchfab

Last, but certainly not least, @satihartigan 's Cleo here is just an all-around fabulous piece, I've really only recently started seeing her work, but her texturing style is super fun and very well done. I'm looking forward to new models from her.

Cleo Sketchfab by sati hartigan on Sketchfab

I can definitely post a whole lot more, but I'm going to leave it just these. Hope you guys enjoyed my picks and I look forward to seeing more of these threads (...which I hope I am posting in the right location)

Toodles!

(Tim Vizesi) #2

Excellent choices! Really enjoyed reading why you picked each one. I hadn't seen many of these - man I love the Artist Picks idea. Thanks for liking mine - I really dig your work too! smile

(Brian Bedford) #3

I completely agree! It's easy enough to just hit "Like" for something and move on, but it's neat going back through old favorites and putting into words why you like specific examples. I'm looking forward to seeing some additional posts.

(Bart) #4

Oh man this is such a cool way to discover new art smile My favorite's Beverly Crusher - well before my time here at Sketchfab, but as I'm a Trekkie myself I love it!

(Kody3d) #5

I love this Artist Pick idea more and more! How did i missed "Beverly Crusher"... Looking forward to a next one!

(Bart) #6

Hey folks!

I just posted a quick message about the Artist Picks here on the forum, it might make it easier for new participants. The main thing I changed is that we should always nominate just one person - nominating all five featured artists would lead to exponential growth wink

For the next Artist Picks, I've invited @constructidecepticon.

(Bart) split this topic #7

I moved a post to a new topic: Artist Picks: constructidecepticon