Sketchfab Forum

Azeroth - Playground of Sargeras

contest
3dsmax
3d

(Simon Kratz) #1

Hi everyone, happy to join the fun! :slight_smile:

For my diorama I decided to display the influence of fel magic on various different environmental structures, slowly bending and corrupting them.
All this takes place under the watchful eyes of Sargeras in a certain well-known toy box I'm currently sculpting :smiley:

Not much to see, yet but I'm working hard to get some progress done.
Good luck to everyone else and have fun, too! :slight_smile:

(Zachary Hixson) #2

That is indeed a certain well known box. Looking nice!

(Michael Calvert) #3

Great start!

(Simon Kratz) #4

Had a pretty busy day so not much to show :smiley:
Wanted to finish the whole box high poly but only made a bit of the top.

(Bart) #5

Hi, how's your entry coming along? We've just posted a quick update on the main contest thread - please check it out.

(Simon Kratz) #6

Sry for the lack of updates guys, I didn't have proper internet access for the past 2 weeks and real life was really busy >.<
At least I managed to finish staging my scene and I saved the most fun part for the final days:the environment inside the hearthstone box :slight_smile:

Hope to finish it this weekend to have a full week remaining for retopo, texturing and lighting.

(Simon Kratz) #7

Finished the central architectural piece of my environment today.
Will place it tomorrow and finally try to get the high poly done. Deadline will once again be really tight for me but that's the fun of it, isn't t :smiley:

(Simon Kratz) #8

Small-ish update :slight_smile: Here's the full scene, retopo is done and I hope I'll get the unwrap up soon, too.

(Simon Kratz) #9

Not much to show today, but played a bit with lighting and added base meshes for vfx. The fun of texturing will start tomorrow (for the sake of this project I hope so at least :slight_smile: )

(Simon Kratz) #10

It's starting to take shape (hope so at least ^^; ) but still got loooooooots of work to do x.x
Gonna lighten up the inner part, it's a bit too dark now imo.
Let's see how much more polishing I can pour into the remaining time frame :slight_smile:
Things to do for tomorrow
- final colors
- final effects
- final animation
- final polishing
- final gather ;D

x.x

(Simon Kratz) #11

So I, too, have finished!
Might play a bit with material settings on the final day tomorrow but here's my uploaded model.
I'm pretty satisfied and it was (as always) an inspiring and fun challenge!
Thx to Sketchfab, the sponsors and especially @bartv, @rawrsoft and @c0re for moderating the contest :slight_smile:

(Pandan) #12

I like it! This something that you could see on hearthstone's main menu for a expansion or something. :slight_smile:

Some criticism;
You spent a lot of time on the face of the toybox and the small building inside. I don't think the effort was wasted, but I feel strongly that that time could have been applied to the most prominent piece which is the demon opening the box.

Having the demon as a floating hands & head could easily be a design choice, or it could have been a compromise.

Either way, I think it's really well textured, and the mood is just right. I love the fire effects.
:slight_smile:

(Simon Kratz) #13

THx @pandan, glad you like it :slight_smile:
And I can totally understand your critics, my time table for this project was totally messed up with lots of real life interference. So I didn't have a lot of time planning and experimenting. :smiley:
I actually wanted to drag more attention to the environment inside the hearthstone box but for the current scale of the scene it probably would have been a better decision to put more work into the character since he already is the more prominent element in the scene :slight_smile:

Maybe some time in the future I'll rework it to fit a bit better overall, for now I'm satisfied with it^^