Baking emission maps, bump, transparency, ambient occlusion

3dst
3dsmax

(Justabouthomes Com) #1

Hi ,
Thanks for the help you provided in the forum.
I have appiled all the suggestions and some of my own methods to make a much better and superior quality scene.

Living room test01 by justabouthomes.com on Sketchfab

This is the first official test with all effects applied.
The quality is still better but it is not as par with what im aiming for.
There is too much noise.
The glass and transparent items are not having any refraction.
How do i add light maps , emission maps after uploading to sketchfab.(i used the default script render and auto bake with manual lighting , but i don't see any options to add passes, i tried adding passes in the vray setup but that did not work.)
How do i improve the quality of this more.
Some objects are inverted which was not the case in 3ds max. it did not even show up in the renders.
BTW i use 3ds max 15 with vray 3.20.02.
The mirror in the bedroom scene does not have any reflection.
The walls in the bedroom are supposed to be white. Dont know why some textures are coming out to be extremely dark like the wall and the t.v unit.

Please check out my models and advice.
The help is really appreciated.

(Klaasnienhuis) #2

Hi @justabouthomes_com,

that's a great improvement indeed. Slicing off the bulk of the building really helps. Let me clarify a bit about the sketchfab publisher for 3dsMax. Most of what I'm writing here is also documented in the manual.

• The script bakes everything into the diffuse channel. There's no way to separate reflections and refractions into different objects or channels when using the script. Adding render elements also has no effect. This feature has been suggested a few times before, but hasn't been implemented.
  • Adding extra maps such as emission and reflection can be done by downloading your own baked model from sketchfab, creating the new maps based on the UV coordinates in the downloaded model and using those maps.
  • Black objects in the baked result are almost always caused by flipped normals. 3dsMax hides this from us very well. First enable backface culling in 3dsMax and see if some objects appear flipped. Then, check if objects have negative scale. This happens when you scale objects at the object level (which generally is a big no-no)
  • The mirror on the right does have a reflection though it's pretty faint. The reflection is created from the position of the camera which is used when baking. If you don't provide a camera yourself the script makes one up which probably isn't located optimally for the reflections you want. Just make a vray camera and place it where the reflections look best. Keep in mind, the reflections are being baked and will be static. I can see refractions actually pretty well on the glass vases, though since they're baked the refractions are static. Keep in mind sketchfab only supports transparency, not refractions, if you plan to add it later manually.
  • Most walls look pretty bright to me. You probably can make them brighter by adding more lights or adjusting the exposure settings on your vray camera. The wall the tv unit is attached to is dark and grainy. No idea why, is it a reflective wall? Maybe post the material settings here? Also, to give better feedback on the bake-quality you should disable post-processing effects in Sketchfab. They make it hard to see why things are bright or dark.
  • I've downloaded the model and looked at the textures. I see the graininess. Though this isn't caused by lack of texturespace, you have 3 x 2k textures. I advise you to improve your rendersettings to get rid of the grain.
  • Some unsolicited advice: get rid of, or greatly simplify some objects in your scene. You've got a small row of grass-like plants, two plants in vases and a mini Eiffel tower. These objects eat up approximately one third of your textures (that's 2k of texels wasted on tiny objects). Besides that, some of your objects aren't exactly modeled for realtime purposes. Sketchfab can handle them fine but keep in mind that these objects are auto-unwrapped very inefficiently.

Best,
Klaas

(Justabouthomes Com) #3

Hi Klaas,
Thanks for the prompt reply and the great advice.
Your comment does answer most of my questions and doubts.
My vray settings were pretty high when uploading.
How do i post the material settings here?
I get the point of removing the grass and other objects which take up more text space, but i did not get what you meant by "some of your objects aren't exactly modeled for realtime purposes. Sketchfab can handle them fine but keep in mind that these objects are auto-unwrapped very inefficiently."
Also could you suggest which additional script i could get to help in manually unwrapping my textures?
i am really thankful for the replies you have provided and the great prompt help.

(Bart) #4

I've fixed your embed - just put the model's URL on an empty line.

(Justabouthomes Com) #5

Hi,
Also i see some really awesome texturing in terms of overall effect and especially bump an and refraction(saliva) in the smaug head model i saw some days ago. Some other models and authors work i like are WNS studios.
i aim to achieve that quality.
Please advice on how they must have done it or how i can achieve it or guide me to some tuts or blogs where i can get advice for these effects.
The smaug head model:

Smaug head model
by Salireths
on Sketchfab

The WNS studio model:

Kitchen #2
by WNS-Studio
on Sketchfab

Thanks!

(Justabouthomes Com) #6

What do you mean?
I don't get you.
@bartv

(Moroplogo) #7

Just to say: to embeb a model in forum you must copy/paste the model URL ("https://skfb.ly/IrvQ" or "https://sketchfab.com/models/782be7e72caa4721ba78a873f4f92d4e"), no need for the full embed code (with " < iframe.... ") :wink:

A previous thread on using the Exporter's baking features and re-importing the file to add transparency and specular:

(Klaasnienhuis) #9

@justabouthomes_com,

the 3ds Max publisher doesn't make art for you. It's a tool to put your models into your sketchfab account superfast. It also does quick texturebaking, but that's about it. Don't expect it to magically improve the quality of your work.

Optimizing the meshes of models for realtime display and manual unwrapping are skills you will need to practice. No tool will do this for you. I've suggested a list of unwrapping tutorials elsewhere on this forum, you can start with that.
I find that switching on the wireframe and rotating between shadeless, default and matcap lighting in the viewer reveals a lot about the model.