Best method for capturing all sides of an object?

(Adamcrockett) #28

Hi, sorry I'm late to this thread, but I wanted to share my solution. I made a pegboard by drilling a grid of holes into a piece of wood. Then I use very long nails through the bottom to hold up the subject. Sorry the data is on a different service, but here's the model.

http://www.123dapp.com/catch/Ram-skull-/3214665

(Abby Crawford) #29

That's a clever solution, @adamcrockett! Do you ever have trouble with the nails scratching or indenting the object that you're photographing?

(Adamcrockett) #30

I haven't used it enough nor have I used it with anything that delicate, but I imagine I'd solve that problem with a little rubber tip on the nail.

(Matthewbrennan) #31

This works in Photoscan, too. I've actually never bothered masking photographs in Photoscan or in any other photo-modeling software, and have always gotten usable results. If the photos are good, you'll nearly always get a workable result.

(Panomedia) #32

Wow very Interesting ... !!!!

(James Uk) #33

Reviving an old thread here but I like that pegboard setup. I use a spike for these vegetables I did but obviously that's not a very good idea for say, a skull! XD Otherwise I just use the turntable method with two chunks (top/bottom) and a masked out turntable because I don't want to damage anything, although I've not done much of this at all. I had it work excellently for a cube like object (http://d2f0ora2gkri0g.cloudfront.net/bkpam2167114_photoscanexample_2.jpg) but fail for a skull I scanned, makes me wish we did have levitation technology...

(Abby Crawford) #34

Levitation would be very useful indeed, @james_uk. :smile:

(James Uk) #35

Hopefully these folks' machine will be less wobbly in future and they will upsize to that football levitation machine they were gonna do; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odJxJRAxdFU

(Abby Crawford) #36

That's amazing, @james_uk.

(Ben Kreunen) #37

OK, here's one idea that came to me while photographing an object on a light box.... scanning on a lightbox. It solves two key problems... back lighting to remove shadows and providing a featureless background (when slightly overexposed). Our new A2 lightboxes are a bit of a pain for most applications, but in this case the extra size made it possible to get down low enough and still have a pure white background. An old Xray lighbox would do the job. This could work on a turntable but in this case I just manually turned the object and then flipped it upside down for the bottom.
No masking (with Reality Capture anyway)

Film cannister by UoM Digitisation Centre on Sketchfab

(Weatherbeewesley) #38

I have just been rotating the object itself by hand and then masking out my fingers. For smaller objects I use a solid background of a contrasting colour to the object. This makes auto masking very easy.

I used a hand rotated approach with these pearlware sherds. They are also glossy so I had to diffuse the light.

One chunk, hand rotated, ~1cm thick in the thick body. The flake mended on the end is at most 2-3mm thick.

Shell-edge Pearlware Plate Sherds ca. 1809-1831 by weatherbeewesley on Sketchfab

(Abby Crawford) #39

@uomdigitisation That's a clever idea! Do you think that the lightbox would create reflections on glossy surfaces, or is the light diffuse enough that it wouldn't be a problem?

(Vlad) #40

masks, Masks and MASKS!
Especially if we talking about Agisoft Photoscan because without them it produce too much weird noise.
Photoscan have good tools for automatic creation mask. You took 1 photo without object and it automatically create mask use this clean photo depend on difference between photo with object and without.

And take photos how gerpro whrote:

If you have camera with GPS, clean GPS tags, especially if this is ContextCapture, GPS positions have priority in calculation camera placement.

(James Uk) #41

So recently for this scan of a porcelain skull I photographed (with lights and a green screen) the more complex bottom with the middle so they would merge much better being in the same chunk and batch of photos. I should say though plasticine really helped out here for holding the thing too, I could just delete out all of the dense cloud with the plasticine showing and keep what I needed, then merge both halves

Skull Model photoscan
by james___uk
on Sketchfab

(James Uk) #42

Yeah we need this tech asap :smiley:

Add new "3D scanning and photogrammetry" group in forum
(William Feltz) #43

I know that I am very late to this conversation, but I have recently learned a method that a student at UNC Chapel Hill has worked with. I use a scanner stand (similar to your wood prop @abbyec) on a turntable. For a lithic point, I used a white backdrop and a black, rubber nodule and platform to hold the artifact vertically. Without changing the setup of the camera I rotated the projectile point 90 degrees after every set of photos. In Agisoft, for all but one artifact position of photos, I used the [Smart Scissors] to follow around the edges of the artifact and masked everything outside. I kept them all in one chunk and aligned the photos. If successful, I masked the remaining position photos and built the dense cloud.

(Mario Krajcir) #44

OK - for the automatically create mask. I will import into one chunk 99 pictures with object and 1 without the object? How can I make automatic mask?