Blender 2.80 support issues - please post here!

We announced our support for Blender 2.80 files yesterday, and our developement is still ongoing. If you find any issues, please report them on this topic and include a .blend file that has this problem if you can (or mail it to community@sketchfab.com). Thanks!

5 Likes

Thanks for the 2.8 support. I found two bugs:

1. Upload Error (20) when an object is disabled in the viewport
  2. Upload Error (13) when having multiple scenes especially if there is an empty scene. Sometimes I had this error also with a scene having linked objects from the other scene

Minimalistic files attached

Sketchfab-Error-13-20.zip (216.7 KB)

1 Like

As a feature request: I found those bugs by searching for a convenient way to upload not the whole model but only parts (some objects) of it. It seems that hiding in viewport and hiding for rendering doesn’t do the trick. Sometimes I have “render helper” objects like shadow catchers etc. in my scene which I don’t want to have uploaded to sketchfab. I think it would be useful to have a way not to upload them to sketchfab. I would say using the convention that objects which are “Disabled in Viewports” or “Disabled in Renders” are not processed by sketchfab. Or is there already a way to do this?

1 Like

Bonjour,

I have objects modeled with Blender 2.8 that are distorted after uploading to Sketchfab. The geometries are simple primitives from the library. They have no topology problem.

I think the problem is related to the number of sub-hierarchies.

I had this problem by downloading the .blend file and the .fbx export.

I found 2 workaround:

Use an .obj export

Or

Decrease the number of sub-hierarchy level (to download a .blend file).

:slightly_smiling_face:

In the picture the steering wheel and the wheels are distorted.

Hi,

I tried to upload a very simple file with a curve and objects on a “follow path” constraint. The path is animated.

Uploaded file doesn’t show any animation related to that curve and objects are not moved onto the curve either. Is it a known bug or am I doing something wrong ?

winter.zip (195.8 KB)

I added the blend file. I’m quite a beginner so it may be me missing something important…
This artist : https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/chair-lift-afd305cdd4cb450f80b59f24b4b3e236 could make a similar model work and i could download and reupload his model without issue, but I don’t see what i’m doing different. Please helppp :wink:

Thanks for the report! We’re adding it to the bug list.

BSDF Transparent

Bonjour,

I have two students who could not download their modeling of a Garford truck on Sketchfab (error message). In both cases, Blender 2.8’s transparent BSDF hardware was the cause.

By removing this shader, the download was functional. I do not know if it’s a conflicting parameter or the entire shader.

We use Blender 2.8 with the interface translated into French.

If I can have more details on this problem, I will write them here.

1 Like

“Bonjour” Jean-Philippe, and thanks for reporting the bugs :slight_smile:

I managed to reproduce the bug on my side considering the distortion problem you encountered. Removing hierarchies is definitely not a viable option in the long-run, so we’ll try to come with a solution to this.

Concerning the BSDF shader issue, could I ask you - if you manage to get your hands onto one - to upload a version of a problematic .blend file ?
The most stable approach for now would be to use the “Principled BSDF” shader in the node graphs, and use its “Emission” and “Alpha” input sockets to plug in the different maps (don’t forget to activate a Blend Mode in the material options if doing so!), without relying on Emission or Transparent shader nodes:

I’m not sure if this workflow could fit your students’ usage though…

Thanks once again for your help, any feedback is appreciated !

3 Likes

Bonjour Loic,

1- Hierarchies seem useless for Sketchfab. For now, it’s easy to remove them on Blender before uploading: “A” select all, “CTRL + P” / Object (Keep Transform). Just let users know about Blender 2.8.

2- Thanks for the explanations with the “Principled BSDF” we will use it with the next project which should also be posted on Sketchfab at the beginning of November.

3- In the Carolane_BSDF_Transp_Bug_1.blend file I only kept the object that has the BSDF Transparent material. It should not have other content that interferes. It comes from the project: https://skfb.ly/6NwzE where the transparent BSDF has been removed. Initially, this project was realized with the interface in French.

In the file mario_BSDF_Transp_Bug_2.blend I left the interface in French and I only kept the elements with a BSDF Transparent material. These elements come from the project https://skfb.ly/6NuNF where the transparent BSDF has been removed.

Bug_Blender2_8_BSDF_Transparent.zip (325.5 KB)

These two clean files do not load into my Sketchfab account. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Bonjour Jean Philippe, and thanks for the additional feedback and comprehensive files.

The errors with materials that you encountered was indeed due to a bug on our side not correctly taking into account the Transparent node, so thanks for revealing that one :slight_smile:
The fix should be available online during next week.

However, I’d definitely advice you to try and give a go at using the transparency as shown in my previous post if this is applicable to your use-case.
The “Principled” node is meant to be a generic node in Blender, and I think that using its “Emission” and “Alpha” inputs instead of creating new shader nodes really helps simplifying the whole node-graph of the material, and maybe the learning curve for first-time users (as I guess that some of your students might be).

2 Likes

Hello @cirrus7, and thanks for your feedback (and attached samples) !

Concerning your uploads:

Error 13

The Error 13 indeed happens because the Scene is empty. Except if there is something I don’t understand here, I think that this is the expected behaviour, as there would be no point to display a non-existing model on Sketchfab.

Error 20

That one was indeed a little bit more tricky. We did not take into account the possibility of objects disabled in the viewport in the first version of our support for Blender 2.8, which caused crashes.
A fix is going to be deployed soon to fix this error.

Exporting parts of the scenes only

Concerning hidden objects and “render helpers”, it is true that the behaviour is not always the most intuitive…
We usually “un-hide” those and export them to Sketchfab as such objects are often used as particles, boolean parts, curves… and often needed for the final models to look good.

Although we’ll try to make this more intuitive when processing the files on Sketchfab, one suitable option you could use would be to use the Sketchfab add-on if you have not tried it yet !

It has an export feature with a “Selection Only” option, which should allow you to export… only the selected objects :slight_smile:

You can download it on github (I’d suggest installing the latest version, the 1.2.1): https://github.com/sketchfab/blender-plugin/releases

Thanks again for your feedback, let me know if something was not clear or if I can help further !

3 Likes

Hi.

I tried to upload a Grease Pencil (Blender 2.8) file for Inktober 2019 challenge. It had only Grease Pencil strokes, and upload finished with an Error 13. Maybe grease pencil strokes are not supported. If that is the case, will this be a future feature?

Thanks.

Hi,

Grease Pencil is not currently supported, and it’s not currently planned to support it. Is it possible to convert Grease Pencil objects to meshes?

Hi, @james, thanks for your answer.

I see.

Yes, but I think it is not very useful for just drawing some sketches.

My main concerns are about animations in 2.79 that rotate on the wrong axis when they are saved in 2.8 and upload in sketchfab. Please note that they work in Blender, only with the transition Blender to sketchfab, it seems non functional.

The other bugs I get is when I upload files with alphamasked channel. Sometime, all alphamasked material end in sketchfab a one single material called “material_0”. I never got this in 2.79. I believe this bugs has been already referenced by your wonderful team, I believe

Hmm. Can you share some sample uploads with these issues?

Ok James,

Here’s the model uploaded from Blendr 2.8. Doors are rotation the wrong way, and are not at the right. Something I don’t encounter when I play the animation in Blender 2.8.

Here’s a previous model saved with Blender 2.79, working fine.

Regarding the material_0 issue, here’s the model I’m having issue with it’s not yet published but I guess that, as an administrator, you can access draft. It also have problems with animation as the wings should be moving too, but here only the door does
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/carreidas-160-717a7195953a45139b297610892b8c94

1 Like