Blender Armatures Not Appearing

Hi all,

I’m pretty sure I’m just missing something obvious, but I can’t for the life of me figure this out. I’m having difficulty uploading animations using armatures from Blender. For some reason when I upload my blender file, the armature is not appearing at all, and therefore none of the corresponding animation is occurring? I’ll be the first to admit that I am far from an animation expert, but this seems relatively simple so I’m at a loss for why it is not working. This is for a museum exhibit that is opening in about a week, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I’ve made the file downloadable, so please feel free to take a look and see if I’m missing something.

Thanks,

Dale

A follow up with a little more context: I tried doing this by animating the individual objects, but unlike in the past where Sketchfab would compile all the individual animations into one, they were now separate. That’s why I decided to go the route of animating it using an armature.
I also noticed recently when trying to animate a flame for this same model, that the vertex weighting of the flame was not being applied, so instead of a dynamic flame shape, it was a static model fixed to the bone of the armature animating the flame. I am not sure if these are related, but it’s just another animation problem I’ve had since Blender went to 2.8.

Tangentially, I’ve notice that with the two models I’m working on for this exhibit, that the textures will not load unless I manually switch to HD textures in the viewer settings. Here is the other model for reference.

@james any chance you could shed some light on this?

Thanks again,

Dale

Hi Dale, and thanks for reporting those issues.

Animation support

We are currently implementing animation support for Blender 2.80 and later versions, and the behaviour you are noticing (separating the different animations) is amongst the ones that we are currently fixing.

As you probably know, the way to “bypass” this before 2.8 animations are fully supported is indeed to either upload from Blender 2.79 or use a .fbx file format.

Textures

Do you still encounter the problem linked to textures not loading?

Although I can notice that the texture charge by default as “SD” instead of “HD” due to the viewer’s optimization, I can not reproduce the case in which they don’t load at all.

We have made recent fixes on our texture pipeline which should have solved this issue recently, so do not hesitate to let us know if you ever encounter this behaviour again.

Have a great day,
Loïc.

Ps: would you like me to notify you here when support for Blender 2.80 will be active?

1 Like

Ok! Makes perfect sense. I did go ahead and start working with .fbx, and it fixed the problems I was having. As for the textures, I think I was just not patient enough. I have been uploading all my textures as 8k .jpg files, and I think Sketchfab had simply not processed them into a 4k file for the SD version of the textures. Waiting over night solved the problem. It was not apparent to me at the time because I was trying to do some pretty rapid iteration, and was therefore re-uploading new textures quite frequently.

I would love it if you would let me know when Blender 2.8 is supported! I don’t think I have any upcoming projects that will run into any issues, as most of the work I do is static models, but it would be nice to know anyway.

Thank you for all your help! Some of your personal work was actually a big inspiration for my workflow on this project.

Best,

Dale

P.S. Here is the current version I am polishing up for our exhibit opening tomorrow.

2 Likes

Hi Dale,

Glad you managed to find a workaround. The final model looks really nice, congrats on this work !

I’ll make sure to let you know when a stable version of animation support for Blender 2.8 will be deployed then.

Regards,
Loïc

ps: and thanks for your very nice remark on my work, glad you found some of it useful :blush:

1 Like