Burning Legion Invasion Ground Zero

(Zachary Hixson) #1

My diorama is going to be the interior of a chapel where an infernal has crashed through the roof/wall and impacted into the floor. There is a green fel-fiery crater inside, and, depending on time, the infernal will either be standing tall having just climbed out of the impact crater or there will be a set of fiery footprints leading out of another hole in the wall. An ominous green legion swirl fills the sky along with more falling infernal meteors and lightning flashes, and the dark silhouettes of an endless army of marching demons can be seen marching outside.

Super excited about this contest! It is just the motivation I have needed to get back into the painterly style of 3D art!

(Michael Calvert) #2

Sounds like a great concept, looking forward to you creating it!

Very cool imagery, can't wait to actually see it!

(Zachary Hixson) #4

Hi again! I hope to be able to update at least something tiny each day, and here is today's tiny something.
This first image is a very very VERY (very) quick paint over of a camera angle set inside the chapel proxy. This is what I hope to have as my initial camera angle when the scene loads.

I'm going to put some metal armor accents on the infernal because metal attached to stone looks cool. In lore, it'd be because this is a "Veteran Infernal" so it gets to be a little special. Anyway, this is the angle with one foot coming out of the crater. If there's time, there will be an alliance guard in his hand and another under his foot.

These next images are from my block out. You'll need to use some imagination here as I tend to work super sloppy before bringing it all together.

This is the interior. The big cylinder in the back will be a statue that is broken from the infernal crashing through it, and there will very obviously be a hole in the wall. The smaller cylinder to the right will be another of the same statue, but in tact. The big cube in the center is the infernal. The smaller rectangles around the proxy crater are pews, and etc. etc.

This here is the proxy exterior. Most of the exterior environment is going to be alpha rings of painted smoke/fog with layers of demon silhouettes moving through them. I also plan to add some solid colored, dark buildings to simulate the rest of the town that is being, uh, legioned.

Again, these are very basic proxies, but should give an idea of the direction I am heading. Hope to have something a bit more exciting tomorrow!

(Zachary Hixson) #5

Adding my nightly update.

I got my chapel inside roughed out a bit better and I think it's in a good spot to start receiving final geometry and texturing.

Most of what you see is going to be smashed up and overshadowed by a massive super infernal, however.

Pardon the crudeness of these sketches, they were done in secret at work with a pen and were crazy fast. Anyway, I thought it would look cool if the infernal had fel-iron armor fused or attached to him, so I made up some silly lore that this is an Infernal Veteran that has somehow survived several engagements and received iron augmentations to patch up wounds and stuff. Mostly, it'll just look super cool. Kind of like if an infernal and the fel reaver had a baby that still looked mostly like an infernal.

Just a bit more of the boring stuff to get out of the way tomorrow and then the fun part of modeling will start!

Really loving the updates! The space looks really good.

(Zachary Hixson) #7

Nightly update!

I got my town hashed out with some proxies and basic terrain, and I think I'm now at the point where I can start tearing stuff up! After that step, it'll be time to get the infernal in there and start making final versions of all of the hero assets! I really hope I've not bitten off more than I can chew... I have a habit of doing that. I have tried to set up my geometry to use lots of repeating sections, so that should help out somewhat.

Anyway, some screenshots!

So excited that this is finally picking up some steam!

(Zachary Hixson) #8

I got tired of blocking things out, so I took a small break from that to work on some high poly stuff. Hooray.

These are some pieces that will be used to construct the church.

(Zachary Hixson) #9

I'm still working on a paint-over workflow (actually using a tablet in place of a mouse would be a good start), but here is the progress on the window and pillar pieces of the church. I might just leave them as-is and move on since they are going to be busted up anyway.

If I add more details, it will be some sort of carving on the pillar somewhere. I'm happy with the stained glass, however.

(Zachary Hixson) #10

@rawrsoft I was just wondering if there was something I needed to do to get the temp pro upgrade because I don't think my account is flagged for it just yet.

(Michael Calvert) #11

Waiting on the team to activate it, everyone will get an email once it's live. Sorry for the delay there.

(Zachary Hixson) #12

Nice! Thank ya!

(Zachary Hixson) #13

Working on the chapel pews now.

These are going to be fun to texture, methinks.

(Zachary Hixson) #14

After a couple of days of trying to make this work, I'm honestly just not feeling it. I figured it was still early enough to where I could pull a crazy move and shelf this project and start with something more fun. SO... yeah. Maybe I'll revisit this environment after the contest is over. I'll have my new concept up in mere moments.

(Michael Calvert) #15

You should link it.

(Zachary Hixson) #16

New concept

(Bart) #17

Hi, how's your entry coming along? We've just posted a quick update on the main contest thread - please check it out.