Byzantine infantry

substance
maya

(Martijn Wouterse) #1

For a project I'm working on I'm trying to, with a reasonable degree of historical accuracy, trying to create a Byzantine infantrymen from around the 6th century AC. My main goal is to put as many types of different armor as possible on one character. My main inspiration is this;

So far this is the low poly model I got;

Byzantine by martijn wouterse on Sketchfab

I tried to keep animating in mind.

For the different kinds of armor I tired to bake them down from Zbrush to the low poly model and do the materials in Substance Painter. Here's where I'm on the torso;

Torso LOW by martijn wouterse on Sketchfab

If anyone has any tips, tricks or questions please let me know!

(Elbriga) #2

wow, that scale mail texture is looking awesome x_x great project!

(Martijn Wouterse) #3

Thanks! The biggest challenge will be accurate and detailed chainmail; If I can get that right the rest will be relatively easy.

(Slytacular) #4

I would get rid of the spaulders. That's too World of Warcraft-y and totally incorrect for the time period. Any military historian familiar with the time period would spot that difference immediately. Superb leather and metal textures though! I would recommend looking at other illustrations for ideas and try reading up on the military equipment for the time. I think this illustrator was focused to make his guy look total bamf. I would also suggest a separate mesh for a coif and save the headache of texturing.

(Martijn Wouterse) #5

Thanks for the feedback! The spaulders are indeed a big currently, good point. In my current model I made them way to pronounced I realized. I'll need to tone them down in the next version, that's for sure. I think that if i make them far closer in shape to the acctual arm and shoulders they will stand our far less. I think I need to approach something more like one of these two:

While they are 5 centuries late, I think they might still be a better inspiration. I'll either need to make the spaulders as I have them now form fitting, or replace them with the cylinder around the arm the second piece of armor has. What do you think works best?

And indeed, the historical research for this project has proven to be difficult. I've found a few sources which I hope are reliable. Also, should the plates be bigger? They look very small to me in comparison.