C4D plugin updates

Hi there :wave:

As some of you might have noticed, we have recently been updating our plugin for the latest versions of Cinema4D (R20 and R21).

The latest version of the plugin is available for download HERE (along with installation instructions).

Upon successful installation, the plugin should be available in the Extensions (R21) or Plugins (R20) menu:

And as we have noticed that some users still use a now deprecated version of the plugin, here is a quick recap of what the recent updates brought (Spoiler: you can import AND export models from and to Sketchfab :wink:)

Importing models from Sketchfab

You can browse and choose a model to import directly through the plugin’s interface.

Although most of the models available for download should import seamlessly into Cinema4D, please note that some discrepancies with Sketchfab might still exist, especially concerning PBR materials (as Cinema4D does not support those natively, the conversion results might sometimes feel akward).

Also, we have recently added animation import to the plugin features.
This support should be pretty robust, but we have noticed that a small percentage of animated skinned meshes can get deformed on import. Do not hesitate to let us know if you encounter such cases.

Exporting models to Sketchfab

The plugin also provides you with a way to directly upload a model to Sketchfab. As we rely on Cinema4D native fbx export for this feature, the upload should behave as if you manually exported and uploaded a .fbx file to Sketchfab, just with less hassle !

Note: If some of you were using the old C4D exporter, you’ll need to delete it from its installation directory before using the new plugin first, or you might encounter Python errors about “plugin ids conflicts” and impossibility to login.

Feedback welcome

As usual with such updates, do not hesitate to let us know if you encounter problems using the plugin !

The best way might be to directly reply to this thread - or send me an e-mail directly (if you do not want your files to be made public) at the address loic dot norgeot at sketchfab dot com.

To help us troubleshoot your problem, please link:

• The url of the problematic model(s) on Sketchfab (the model you tried to import or the one you uploaded).
  • The original .c4d file for upload problems, ideally in a stripped down version containing the parts you identified to be problematic
  • If it is not empty, the logs of the Python console (available under “Script->Console->Python” in C4D R20, or “Extensions->Console->Python” in C4D R21)
  • Any other screenshot or info you think can be relevant :+1: !
2 Likes

I tried in both R20 and R21 (Win10) to log in (seems like login doesn’t take) with my Basic account, but the Upload button never activates. I’m unable to even begin testing this plugin.

If you open Script → Console → Python and try to log in, do you see an error about a missing path?

Hey James,

My directory says this:

from . import _imaging as core
ImportError:dlopen(/Users/stefroelings/Library/Preferences/Maxon/Maxon Cinema 4D R21_90860A1D/plugins/Sketchfab/dependencies/PIL/_imaging.so, 2): Library not loaded: @loader_path/.dylibs/libjpeg.9.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/stefroelings/Library/Preferences/Maxon/Maxon Cinema 4D R21_90860A1D/plugins/Sketchfab/dependencies/PIL/_imaging.so
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Users/stefroelings/Library/Preferences/Maxon/Maxon Cinema 4D R21_90860A1D/plugins/Sketchfab/dependencies/PIL/.dylibs/libjpeg.9.dylib: code signature in (/Users/stefroelings/Library/Preferences/Maxon/Maxon Cinema 4D R21_90860A1D/plugins/Sketchfab/dependencies/PIL/.dylibs/libjpeg.9.dylib) not valid for use in process using Library Validation: library load disallowed by system policy
/Users/stefroelings/Library/Preferences/MAXON/Maxon Cinema 4D R21_90860A1D/plugins/Sketchfab/dependencies/PIL/.dylibs/libjpeg.9.dylib: code signature in (/Users/stefroelings/Library/Preferences/MAXON/Maxon Cinema 4D R21_90860A1D/plugins/Sketchfab/dependencies/PIL/.dylibs/libjpeg.9.dylib) not valid for use in process using Library Validation: library load disallowed by system policy
/Users/stefroelings/Library/Preferences/MAXON/Maxon Cinema 4D R21_90860A1D/plugins/Sketchfab/dependencies/PIL/.dylibs/libjpeg.9.dylib: stat() failed with errno=1

Any tips to solve this issue!

Thank you for your help.

Stef

1 Like

Hello @roelingss.

This is a strange issue indeed, and as of today, I’m not sure what could be causing this.

Could you please try the following steps / answer the following questions to try to narrow down your problem ?

• Which version of MacOS are you using ?
  • Have you already experienced issues with security/permissions while installing or using apps not coming from the App Store ?
  • You mentionned that you are using an education license: might your mac be somehow administered by your school/university (proxies, firewalls, administration rights…), or is it a personal computer ?
  • If you use macOS Catalina or macOS Mojave, could you check if your security settings are set to allow apps from the App Store only (see here https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT202491), and set the “Allow apps downloaded from” to “App Store and identified developers” if that’s the case ?
  • Sorry if this seems like a trivial question, but did you indeed install the plugin from this repository: https://github.com/sketchfab/c4d-plugin, and if so did you / could you try to delete it then reinstall it ?

Thanks for your report, hoping that we’ll manage to fix this issue soon :+1:

Loïc

1 Like

Hey Loïc,

Thank you for your response!

• macOS Catalina 10.15.3

• No.

• No, using my personal MacBook Pro.

• Already set on App Store and identified developers

• I downloaded it directly from the github repository. Also, have deleted and re-installed it more than twice.

Again, thank you for your help.

Stef

Hey Loïc,

Thank you for your response!

• macOS Catalina 10.15.3
  • No.
  • No, using my personal MacBook Pro.
  • Already set on App Store and identified developers
  • I downloaded it directly from the github repository. Also, have deleted and re-installed it more than twice.

Again, thank you for your help.

Stef

Hi everyone, I’m having the same issue while trying to login to my account within the c4d plugin; I had it before and it never solved, I was using c4d20 by then and now I’m using 21 and still can’t login and always have to export the model as an obj or fbx in order to import it to sketchfab.

Any clues what or how can we solve to use the export plug in?

Thanks

Paco

1 Like

Same problem here!
can’t login.