Sketchfab Forum

CardBoard usage question

navigation
vr
feature-request
api

(Tomer Nussbaum) #1

Hey,

I've stumbled upon an article that say skechfab with cardboard helped a cardiac surgeon save a life of a little baby. So first, Thank you for what you do, that is uber-mega-great!

Secound, I wish to use the cardboard, but I don't understand how to zoom-in and zoom-out with the cardboard.
The magnetic thingy on the cardboard does not do anything. is there something I'm missing?

Also, on your post: http://blog.sketchfab.com/post/94454676619/announcing-sketchfab-cardboard-aka-vr4all
you ask to add '/embed?cardboard=1' to the url. is there any meaning to the number? like '/embed?cardboard=2' do something?

Cheers,
Tomer

(Bart) #2

Hey @tomer_nussbaum,

we've just made it easier to enable the Cardboard mode - just click the Cardboard icon at the bottom of the viewer:

Our VR support is still young. At this moment you can't navigate inside VR yet, only look around. The magnetic button doesn't work yet either. But don't worry - these things are all on their way!

PS: I've updated that post, thanks for flagging it!

Sometimes a model can appear really far away in VR mode. If this happens, you'll need to zoom in manually before putting it in your Cardboard.

(Jvouillon) #4

I love your VR option! I was wondering, if it could be possible to have keyboard shortcuts to navigate ( zoom in, zoom out, rotate and so on)? I'm using a using a MakeMakey as an input device to navigate in 3JS, and it's working fine even on iOS devices.

@jvouillon Interesting! Something to think about @mauricesvay @arthurjamain ?

(Bart) #6

How do you connect the Makey Makey to your iPhone? I like the idea :smile:

@james with our API you can control the camera, right? So if @jvouillon can capture the events with Javascript, he should be able to control the camera in VR already (with a bit of hacking)

(Jvouillon) #7

Hi Bart, I'm going to check your API.
The MakeyMakey is connected via the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter. I have plugged a 5 directions switch to the MakeyMakey, in order to use it as a joystick, so no need to watch your keyboard with the Goggles on. You can take a look here:

(Jvouillon) #8

It's working! :smile:
Using your API with option cardboard:1.Disabled the animation, because it was too slow on my iPhone. (Ugly code which needs improvements):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15335326/Sketchfab/VR/index.html

Mini Wireless Bluetooth Controller / Sketchfab Google Cardboard?

Nice! Well done.

I bet @cedric and @mauricesvay will like this :smile:

(Mauricesvay) #10

Haha, this is so awesome :smile:

(Cedric) #11

Very cool hack ! :smile:

(Bart) #12

Wow, so awesome! Would you be interested in writing an article/tutorial about how you did that? I love such hacks and always like sharing the knowledge with our community.

(Jvouillon) #13

I'll be honoured! :smile:
But first, I want to explore a couple of other things (keep the orbit with the phone orientation and use the MakeyMakey for travellings) and polish the code...

(Bart) #14

Sure, no worries :smile: You can contact me on bart@sketchfab.com.

(Andrew Leahy) #15

Hey jvouillon, nice work. I think a cleaner way to run the loop is to use requestAnimationFrame() rather than SetTimeout().

function loop() {
  window.requestAnimationFrame(loop);
   switch(cameraMove) {

replace: setTimeout( loop, 100 );
with: window.requestAnimationFrame(loop);

Cheers, Andrew | Western Sydney University

(Jvouillon) #16

Hi Andrew, sorry I have seen your comment till now! Thanks for your advice. I'm going to try that. :smile: