Hello support team (probably Support King?) and others !
I have a few questions concerning CC-attribution and commercial usage, which I’d love to have clues about:
If I mix, remix, adapt or retopologize some CC-attribution models, which limitations exist concerning the fact of selling those models?
In my precise case, I am currently making some lowpoly assets based on CC-attribution scans from multiple users (see this collection).
- My question is simple: can I sell similar (and more complete) collections in the store or on other platforms, with the appropriate credits of course?
- If yes, do I need the agreement of all the original model author (quite impossible for big collection)?
- And if I create such bundles from only one author models, don’t I need his agreement (I feel like I would basically sell someone’s else modified work)?
As I understand it, the CC-attribution licensing scheme should allow to do that, but although neither the mesh nor the textures are the same (as they are remeshed and the textures baked to new UVs), I don’t know if just the fact of making models “lowpoly” allows to sell them, as they look awfully close to the originals ( which is a good thing overall ).
- Plus, are models where one (I for instance) would use a model under CC-attribution, retopologize it and create a PBR material from scratch - similar to that one - be ok for the store?
I am also struggling about the “ethics” of making paying assets: I enjoy making free quality assets, but I would also very much enjoy to make a bit of money from them…
- What other “solutions” do people use apart from giving away 1 asset out of 5 OR low resolution assets OR using patreon/buymeacoffe ?
Any regard on those 5 points would be more than welcome as I am new to selling, and to even consider it! Thanks in advance!