[CLOSED] Sketchfab + Oculus Medium VR Challenge: Claymation Characters

(Bart) #1

Didn’t you love to watch those claymation animations on the television when you were a kid? It was hard to believe those sculptors could breathe life into such simple characters, and if you paid attention you might spot a fingerprint somewhere :slightly_smiling_face:

For our latest VR challenge we have joined forces with the Oculus™️ Medium team! We’re challenging you to recreate that claymation feeling using Oculus Medium in VR. Participate and you can win an Oculus Sensor (great for a 3-sensor setup for full room-scale VR!) and a set of Oculus Earbuds.

TL;DR: Sculpt a claymation character in Oculus Medium and tag with #ClaymationCharactersChallenge.

Post your work in progress shots & final entries in this thread, and be sure to check the blog post for full rules and prize details:

(Nicktheladd) #2

I just entered this contest! One of my first tries at medium. The flatten brush really helps give the shapes a bumpy hand-made quality and sometimes even makes an accidental fingerprint looking texture.

(Smallpoly) #3

That looks so charming!

(UnSimpleGeek) #4

Hi there, I’ve just entered the contest. This is my first VR scultpture on Medium.

It’s a homeless dude throwing his booze because of a slippery water puddle.

(Mickael Krebs) #5

hey ! i’m gonna try to make someting cool too :wink: , just saw the contest. i draw a little sketch of what i want to do in medium.

(Mickael Krebs) #6

ok, modeling is finish , i make a render in blender. i try to bake all this lighting into one map for similar render in sketchfab ! hope you like it

(Smallpoly) #7

Damn that’s some beautiful work.

(Samluckart) #8

Hi all! Just wanted to post my submission for this challenge!

It is called

—Traveling Musicians —

if you read each annotation they all have names and small storylines about them

I have been wanting to sculpt in Oculus’s Medium program for a while now and I truly enjoyed making this! It felt very loose and childlike to make this feel like using clay, plus you don’t have to deal with dirty hands after!

I found that using the “Move” tool helped to make it feel like it was hand sculpted. Also the flatten tool. I didn’t get that fingerprint texture that Nick Ladd got though… Maybe my file was too low res? Anyone know why that could’ve happened?

Here is some of the design process:

I started with a small sketch, was going for an old Japanese woman, they have so much character! So then I decided she was a type of travelling musician, playing a “shamisen” then… she needed a froggy entourage to go along with her! I did a lot of Pinterest researching (honestly my favourite part before I start a piece) and then I piece things I like from each reference!

Check out more references on my Pinterest board! -> https://www.pinterest.ca/samanthaluck397/character-design-inspiration/

(Mickael Krebs) #9

it’s almost done, i have some troubles with the baking , but i should success soon. this is my wip of realtime render (just done on the baby) -> https://sketchfab.com/models/a50799e60931412d97c2cafd82ee8cfa

and this is a little turn with cycle (blender) ->

oh also a quick video to show the sculpt in medium (sorry it’s too fast) ->

(Mickael Krebs) #10

my final entry for this challenge :

(Yamfufu) #11

Hey guys!

Here’s my entry:

Nice to see all the work submitted so far!

(Joedanimation) #12

Such a fun challenge. Great work, everyone!

(Bart) #13

This challenge is now closed, and the winner will be announced on Friday.

(Nebulousflynn) #14

And the winners are…

1st place - Baby Learning by Mickael-Krebs

Wins an Oculus Sensor + Earbuds!

2nd place - Love? by Joe Daniels

Wins an Oculus Sensor!

3rd place - Travelling Musicians by samluckart

Wins Oculus Earbuds!

Many thanks to everyone who took part and created such a wonderful array of characters!