Corrupted Dwarf Forge

(Cremuss) #1

Hi guys! First time posting here on the forums :slight_smile:

I learned about this Wow contest 3 days ago and it sounds awesome, so let's give it a shot! I started doodling some ideas and doing some research about Wow's lore (I played a bit the beta but I'm not a huge fan of mmo's so unfortunately my knowledge of the universe is somewhat limited haha) and I figured I'd do some kind of arena style map taking place in some corrupted dwarf forge.

My idea:
"Former Thaurissan's War General and Superior Chief Engineer Arkeram Stonebreaker, one of the more extremist dwarf among the Dark Iron Clan, severely disapproved the turn of events that took place after the War of the Three Hammers and left his clan to create in secret a new dwarf clan. He rallied to his cause what remaining solitary and extremist dwarf he could find and created in a, deep, secret place, a forge of a new kind to forever grant independence to his people.

However, as years went by, he slowly went mad as he started to fool around Legion's goals and its dark powers. Nowadays the place has been consumed by it and demons and corrupted dwarfs have joined hands to forge weapons of a strength beyond imagination."

Here is what I have so far. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to use sculpt for this but I'm definitely going for a 100% flat diffuse hand painted style.
Here is what I have so far:

animations : https://vimeo.com/176795714

Progression shots:

Less that a month. It's gonna be tight :slight_smile: Hope you like it! Feel free to C&C. Thanks!

(Phaedrus) #2

looking amazing already cant wait to see the textures

(Cremuss) #3

Thanks phaedrus! I’ll try my best :slight_smile:
Oh, here’s the animation preview url I forgot to post :

(Michael Calvert) #4

Wow, this looks great. Looking forward to see it textured.

(Cremuss) #5

rawrsoft > thanks!

And, done! Hope you like the textures. I scratched my head a lot to get the right colour scheme :smiley:

Just kidding, I’m planning ahead here before unwrapping by color coding some assets that could use the same texture. The rest will use unique texture with a lot of mirroring. At least that’s how I’m gonna start to texture it. If I have some time left once I’m done and if some props could be largely improved with more unique textures, I’ll go ahead.

Those are the only unique props used in the scene by the way. Everything else is duplicated.
Cheers!

(Cremuss) #6

Done for today I think! Unwrapped some of the props and trashed some values and colours to see what could be possible with a lot of textures tiling re-use.

(Fuzion) #7

Nice start, I like the radial tileset you've created so far, looks like an efficient way to tackle this scene. Looking forward to seeing more, I'm a big fan of Dwarf stuff. Do you plan to animate that giant hammer?

Looks awesome so far! Love the detailed WIPs. Keep going!

(Cremuss) #9

Hi!
fuzion > thanks! Yes the hammer is already animated. There's a link to vimeo in my first post after the two first images :slight_smile:

cOre > thanks!

Anyway, update! Still not much too show really but I’ve been thinking a lot about UVs and tilable textures. I tweaked a lot of things so I could bake as much AO and lighting information as possible without using too many unique textures while still being able to paint details and patterns without too much stretch or repetition.
It’s a long process but in the end the texturing process will be much quicker and easier.

Here is my AO pass so far. Next step is top/down gradient and top lighting pass to further crash test my UV’s.

cheers!

(jason) #10

this is waaaaaaaay too cool!! =D cant wait to see this baby finished!!

(Cremuss) #11

Hi guys! I apologize for the lack of update and absence of participation on the forums but here are some progress shots. I feel like participating in a contest is always stressful and kinda depressing in a way since there's always so many talented artist out there haha, so I sort prefer to do my thing on my own and show my progress only once I'm comfortable with it, if that makes sense :slight_smile:

Anyway, progress is slow but steady. It's still a bit of a mess but it's getting somewhere at least :stuck_out_tongue:

C&C more than welcome! :slight_smile:
Cheers

(Liemnguyenart) #12

this is insane!!! are you hand painting all your textures? they are solid!

(Cremuss) #13

Thanks! Yes it's all handpainted in Blender. Most of them are still very rough though, so there's definitely some cleaning/sharpening to do still hehe

(Bart) #14

Hi, how's your entry coming along? We've just posted a quick update on the main contest thread - please check it out.

(Cremuss) #15

Hey guys! It's been a while... I needed some time off for a while. It'll definitely not be polished as I hopped it would be but at least it'll be done. Hopefully I'll have time this WE to fix a few things and add a bit of details on the textures before the deadline :slight_smile: not really happy about it but it was fun nonetheless

(Zachary Hixson) #16

That animation is wonderful!

(Cremuss) #17

Thanks zhixson!

Here is my final entry!
Thanks to everyone who commented, it was a fun one! :smiley: