Sketchfab Forum

Custom shader support?

(Joedanimation) #1

I'm wondering if there is support for writing simple custom shaders of any kind for use in Sketchfab.

For instance, I'd like to have a panning uv shader as is commonly used in game engines for things like flowing water, speed lines, and even blinking lights. It would also be nice to be able to have a shader with fresnel transparency for cheated glow meshes or other effects.

Is this already possible? If not, I would love to request that ability, or to be able to import opengl or glsl shaders. Any information about this would be appreciated.

(Stephomi) #2

It's not possible at the moment and it's not on our roadmap either.
The main issue is that we can't guarantee the shader is going to work on most device or will have acceptable performance.

But we don't exclude the possibility of doing that in the future either.

As for animated UV we plan on adding its support (not sure if FBX supports it, so maybe it'll have to be through skfb editor).

(Joedanimation) #3

That all makes sense. Thanks for the info!

(Invertex) #4

Couldn’t you guys just implement a simple baseline render-time test for uploads that have custom shaders included? You’d be able to automatically test the average frametime of a given scene someone has uploaded and reject it if it’s outside your acceptable performance limits.