Debugging in IE - Object doesn't support property or method 'bind'

viewer-api
api

(Num T) #1

Hello!

So I've been doing a fair bit of tooling around with the Viewer API and really quite enjoying developing in Chrome. Then I turned my attention to... Internet Explorer. I am not particularly experienced with web development but anyway, performance in IE is terrible in comparison so I was looking at getting the profiler in the developer tools up and running to try and see if it's my fault.

Unfortunately, I am getting a "SCRIPT438: Object doesn't support property or method 'bind'" error as soon as the page loads - this is using the simple example code provided by Sketchfab. I suspect this is an issue that may be well known by those who are savvy web developers but for me it is a complete mystery and I'm surprised it isn't mentioned anywhere on the forums.

Does anyone have any idea what IE is struggling with?

Cheers!

UPDATE: So I've just checked and this happens for me in every one of Sketchfabs actual examples on the Viewer API page as well. I'm using Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.18230
It would be great if I could get some feedback from other developers as to whether it happens with other versions as well (for example Microsoft Edge). My work machine is pretty locked down in terms of software installs unfortunately.

(Shaderbytes) #2

You need to update your IE browser. I know you say you dont have control of Software installs but then relay the information to whoever does have admin rights to do the update.

Technology moves fast and it is only so long before not updating software starts to show signs of incompatibility like this.Older versions of IE were especially guilty of not working where all other browsers would. Lately they have become much better at being a team player.

I thought this issue was only for version 8 and under , I see you say you are using version 11. Do you perhaps have compatibility mode enabled. It would suck if they were making the default compatibility mode point to version 8.

(Num T) #3

Ah I feared this might be the case. I will do some tests on my home machine and see if I still experience the issue.