Desert Punk's Explosive Battery Pack

(Mcsephiroth1313) #1

Hello everyone! Here's my mad scientist!

Out in the post-apocalyptic world, energy is a serious commodity. This guy is a punky desert thief who invented a way to capitalize on energy by inventing a battery pack that takes power from random sources and can transfer them to new machines. It is extremely flammable, however, and will probably explode if he's not careful!

[

Mad Science Contest 2016: Contest Updates
(Mcsephiroth1313) #2

Here's the first WIP. Model upload coming soon.

I will most likely remodel the goggles. Haven't started the battery back yet, but I think I will do most of the modeling for that in Maya.

(Theedstar1) #3

HOLY MOLY THIS IS GETTING SERIOUS best believe I'm gonna be glued to this post i must see what you are getting up to

(Mcsephiroth1313) #4

Hokay, here's another progress shot.

I re-modeled the goggles and the boots, touched up the anatomy and pants, and added a few accessories. Now on to the battery pack!

P.S. I just realized I need to also go back and model the toes back into the boots :confused:

(Theedstar1) #5

Goggles definitely looking better and ha ha ha ha i always thought the boots were supposed to be like that but yeah i can see how closed boots make it look better ..... nice one

(Bart) #6

Welcome on board! Don't forget to subscribe to the contest updates thread to receive a notification when we have news to share.

(Mcsephiroth1313) #7

@THEEDSTAR1 Thanks, yeah maybe I'll leave the right boot closed. I thought having them open gave him more character but it might also be distracting. I'm torn haha

(Simon Kratz) #8

Love the sculpt so far!
Looking forward to see the battery pack in 3d, lools like it'll be an interesting asset :smile:
Are you going for a Fallout type of look?

(Mcsephiroth1313) #9

@essimoon Thanks, the battery pack will be fun to make. I was actually going for a Mad Max style look but more cartoony.

(Mcsephiroth1313) #10

I'm back! It's been a while since I updated, but here's the low poly. I haven't baked the normal maps from the high poly mesh yet because I'm still retopologizing (in agony!) and UV unwrapping.

I might add a couple more things like pipes and wires to the battery pack, then I can finally start texturing!!

Kurk, Desert Punk Mad Scientist - WIP by MCsephiroth1313 on Sketchfab

(Matcrush) #11

Very cool design man, he feels pretty dangerous like junkrat

(Mcsephiroth1313) #12

I'm almost finished! All that's left is the battery pack's normal map texturing and coloring, final touch-ups on the model overall, and posing!

Kurk, Desert Punk Mad Scientist - WIP by MCsephiroth1313 on Sketchfab

I'm thinking of making the battery pack more whimsical, like attaching a TV antenna at the top and making a lawn mower motor on the side or something to start up the machine X)
The base of the cow skull will instead be a car steering wheel to make it more junkyardey.

(Bart) #13

Hi,

a quick personal reminder that the Mad Science contest closes next Wednesday (midnight, 23:59 New York time). So whatever you decided to do this weekend - you'd better cancel it and finish your entry :slight_smile:

As always, you can read contest updates here, and if you have any last minute questions feel free to email me at bart@ this website.

Good luck!!

(Mcsephiroth1313) #14

Did some heavy work on this guy since I last checked in. Man I never worked so hard on a 3D model before this! It's been a good ride.

All that is left is giving him some tattoos, maybe some earrings, and attaching battery clamps so he can hook that bad boy up to broken machines that are strewn about the desert wastelands. And of course posing. Hopefully I'll even get to animate him. :relaxed:

Kurk, Desert Punk Mad Scientist WIP 3 by MCsephiroth1313 on Sketchfab

(Edvin Borkovskij) #15

Took a glimpse on your MadMax psycho, it reminds me on some suicidal psychos from Borderlands. And yeah always get scared when they pop out out of nowhere. But great work. :smiley:

(Mcsephiroth1313) #16

Thanks, @EdvinBorkovskij! Yeah I do see the resemblance, Borderlands has an amazing art style. Maybe I'll look into how those psycho guys are animated in the game for inspiration on animating my character. :slight_smile:
After pulling another all-nighter I am now almost done rigging him, so animating/ posing should be fun.

(Mcsephiroth1313) #17

Phew, that was a close one!

Kurk, Desert Punk Mad Scientist (MadScience2016) by MCsephiroth1313 on Sketchfab

(Diven Parker) #18

I have a ideal,Make ten 5000mAh lipo battery packs to be a bomb.:joy: