I’m very excited to announce the beta version of Holo-SDK for Desktop AR technology.
- Desktop AR is a technique that let normal computer and monitor to project AR effect.
- Holo-SDK is a Unity plugin that help developer make Desktop AR apps.
- Desktop AR does not require AR glasses/headset and provide a more immersive experience than mobile AR.
- Demo video: https://youtu.be/cuvJxsB285k
- Get Holo-SDK and sample apps at: https://www.holo-sdk.com/
What is Desktop AR?
Desktop AR is a technique that enables laptop and desktop computers to produce AR effect without needing a phone or a headset. It creates the illusion of 3D objects floating in front of a screen by rendering red-blue 3D images according to a user’s viewing position. User can download the play Desktop AR apps by using their computer, webcam, and anaglyph glasses.
What’s cool about it?
- You get the holographic experience and seeing things floating in front of the screen. The color will be a bit purple-ish because of the red-blue glasses. If that is what bothers you, you can also use active/passive 3D display to overcome this issue.
- Users do not need to have AR glasses or headset, which tends to be pricy. Desktop AR utilizes hardware that everyone already has and red-blue glasses that are available online for a low price. This also means that more potential users for your Desktop AR applications.
- More immersive than mobile AR. Mobile AR’s experience is limited by small display size and lack of stereoscopic. Unlike Desktop AR and AR glasses, Mobile AR enhances the realism of a video that a user sees on a device, rather than enhancing the viewing experience of the user directly.
How to make your own Desktop AR app?
You can make Desktop AR apps by using Holo-SDK. Holo-SDK is a unity-plugin. You can download and start developing going to the website. We do have a free developer license there, so you can play with the tech without cost. We also have documents, so that you can use the SDK easier.
Right now, the Holo-SDK is only for Unity and only compatible with Window OS. In the future, we will support other engines and OS as well.
I am looking forward to your suggestions, comments, and feedback. They are highly valued and appreciated.