[Dev Log] Cat Protagonist

handpainting
blender
animation
3d

(Fongoose) #1

Since I have a bit of spare time over xmas I wanted to design and create an animated cat character that could be used in an action RPG game. I'm a huge fan of games like Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy IX and kingdom hearts so I'll no doubt be pulling some inspiration from games like that. There are a lot of people modelling cats and cat-people right now so I'll try to make the character unique and put my own 'stamp' on it but to be honest I just want to have fun with this one :slight_smile:

I'll be spending some time developing the character design but here's my initial sketch to give you an idea of what I'm thinking. Stay tuned for more updates and feel free to share :slight_smile:

(Dark Minaz) #2

Reminds me a bit on cat quest, just with a more detailed art style.
quite interested in seeing what you can make with the idea

(Fongoose) #3

As always, I like to start my projects with a pinterest board to get the juices flowing. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/mikefongart/cat/

Thanks @dark_minaz I've added that image to my board :slight_smile: I love the purple mage cat on the left.

(Dark Minaz) #4

Yeah pinterest keeps telling me about all your cat-egories. Really useful site to get some base ideas.
The game had quite a lot of cool charakters,

there are even more cat like games on ios, some of them got quite a lot of cool looks

(Fongoose) #5

@dark_minaz Amazing image :smiley: I've added that one too. I also recently discovered the cat customisation features in the new monster hunter game. So cute! :blush:

This blog is also amazing:

http://dailycatdrawings.tumblr.com/archive

(Fongoose) #6

I thought it would be cool to check out some iconic cats. ^^

This made me think about what actually makes an iconic character?

(Dark Minaz) #7

wait the new online monster hunter got an option to play as cat? damn they look amazing

(Fongoose) #8

Couple more sketches from this weekend. I’m not a huge fan of the feline body shapes. I think I’ll definitely go with the more humanoid body type like in my initial sketch. Middle one also looks too pokemon/ anime-like which is not the look i'm going for. I have some more sketches coming. Stay tuned.

(Fongoose) #9

I could carry on sketching more variations but this one is pretty close to what I had in mind. I also have a schedule I want to stick to so I’m going to roll with this one and make further changes throughout the modelling stage.

(Fongoose) #10

Just wanted to try a couple of colour palettes. Will experiment in the texture painting stage but just wanted to get a better idea of what colours might look best. I personally like the white face but I think a bit of colouration will make it more interesting. Lets see what happens further down the line.

(Fongoose) #11

I made a fair bit of progress on the modelling this week. I usually start by roughly blocking the character out in zbrush, do a quick retop in topogun and then make some more controlled tweaks in max. I don't like using auto retop tools because I don't want any bad topology to accidentally make its way into my final.

Rough Blockout in Zbrush

Quick retop in topo gun. I try to do this as neatly as possible without taking too much time. I'll be doing a full topology pass in max so I don't want to waste too much time here. This provided a great base mesh to work with though.

Here's the full retopped model in Max. Looks really weird! XD Next i'll spend some time tweaking the overall shape in max.

(Fongoose) #12

Here's how he looks after hours of tweaking. I usually start unwrapping and preparing for texture painting at this point but I kind of wanted to put him back in zbrush and see if I can pull out some more details in the mesh. However I'm not sure if this is required as I want to keep the model clean and fairly smooth looking. hmmm

(Fongoose) #13

Did a quick face test with blend shapes just to check for any topology issues. Found some problems with the mouth so I'm glad i picked those up early :3

(Nomadking) #14

Looks awesome so far :slight_smile:

(Khea) #15

Hey !

Cool thread! I loooove his cutie face and the proportions of the character :smiley:
(Also, your animation test makes me wanna learn how to animate! It's so nice to see him move!)

Thank you for sharing I will be watching you next updates :slight_smile:

(Fongoose) #16

@khea Thank you! I love your 'Closing time at the Mystery Shack' Model. Awesome work :smiley:

Thanks for checking out the thread @nomadking :smiley:

(Fongoose) #17

Just set up a quick 'CAT' rig (lol) to test my topology. Looks ok but I'll probably need some extra bones for parts like the sleeves and bottom of the tunic to help minimise clipping in the animations and generally make the clothing move more naturally. Skinning the tunic to the legs would look weird even with good weighting. Here's a clip of the hands:

(Fongoose) #18

Hope everyone had a lovely Xmas! Still doing some rig testing and topo tweaking. Here's a run test animation.

(Fongoose) #19

Almost forgot to add this! If he's going to be used in a game it would be cool to change his eyes when he's in attack mode.

(Fongoose) #20

More testing