[DONE] Facing The Foe

(Warrenfrancis) #1

Hello, everyone. I'm VERY inexperienced but decided to take the plunge and have some fun. I'm doing my modeling in MagicaVoxel, with composition and lighting in Blender. My diorama will be three heroes facing their greatest challenge yet. Best of luck to all of the contestants!

(Warrenfrancis) #2

Here's a first WIP shot of the heroes. They were colored in MagicaVoxel... I'll have to figure out the Blender materials later. :smile:

[WIP] The three heroes by warrenfrancis on Sketchfab

(Warrenfrancis) #3

Making some progress on the foe! Still lots to do.

(Rickprokosch) #4

^ I like this guy. Well done.

(Warrenfrancis) #5

Thank you!

(Warrenfrancis) #6

Making progress. I still need to follow the Star Wars trench run tutorial to get my UV maps right for baking in Blender. Instead of using VoxelShop for exporting, I used MagicaVoxel directly, and the UVs come out as a single row (to match the palette.png file).

[WIP] Facing the Foe by warrenfrancis on Sketchfab

(Andya) #7

Love the bubbles (and burst bubbles especially).

(Jason Ivens) #8

I was going to say the same thing :smile:
The bobble effect is really cool. Keep up the great work.

(Bart) #9

Hi @warrenfrancis!

Thanks for joining the Heroic Voxels contest and welcome on board :smile:

I have just given you one month of Sketchfab PRO - you can use it to add up to 20 annotations to your model.

Some more useful information to get you started:

• Read the contest updates - they will contain updates on contest progress, weekly tutorials and more.. I recommend you 'track' that topic so you'll receive notifications (instructions are in the post).
  • Frequently Asked Questions are in the (you guessed it) FAQ topic.

(Rickprokosch) #10

This is great! The bubbles look really cool.

That's where Blender broke for me, when I tried to unwrap the UV maps and bake. Things went wrong.

I also tried exporting from MV and it worked quite well. When I chose image texture, I had to then go and tell it (in the materials window) which texture to use because whatever it auto selected was not correct.

(Sir Carma) #11

Man! Looks super cool already! Great job

(Warrenfrancis) #12

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Here's an update. I finally figured out the baking in Blender, but went way overboard on texture map resolution. :frowning: Also, the heroes will go back in, but didn't have time to get them into tonight's update.

[WIP] Facing The Foe (update 1) by warrenfrancis on Sketchfab

(Jason Ivens) #13

love the idea of making it into a table top / board game :smile:

(Warrenfrancis) #14

I'm not sure I like it as much with the table and cloaked guy, so I'm going to split that off into a second entry and keep this one purely the lava stuff. Should have a hefty update by tomorrow night.

(Jason Ivens) #15

Your going to have your hands full with 2 entries but I look forward to your results :smile:

(Warrenfrancis) #16

OK, here's the latest:

[WIP] Facing the Foe (update 2) by warrenfrancis on Sketchfab

I like how the baked lighting is turning out, though I also hope I'm not sacrificing too much of the voxel feel. I think there might be too many bats, and I need to tweak the emission levels to show the lava bubbles more clearly. Suggestions welcome!

(Jason Ivens) #17

I agree with you about the bats, it looks a bit chaotic with the number you have in the scene at the moment.
Although I would try adding another colour to them first, to highlight their eyes and make them look really bloodthirsty :smile:

(Sir Carma) #18

Wow. I looooove it! Super good job dude!

(Warrenfrancis) #20

I think I'm going to call this entry done, unless I come up with some
other last-minute ideas. Thanks again for the encouragement and
feedback, everyone!

[Edit: trying to post again... the forum embed doesn't seem to want to work. Hmm... Do @bartv or @alban have any suggestions? ]

[Edit 2: I pasted the link into the forum editor before I published the model, so the forum software cached the embed as a "permission denied" page. Adding a slash to the end of the URL was enough to trigger the forum software to retrieve a new (working) version. Problem solved!]

Facing the Foe by warrenfrancis on Sketchfab

(Ab Red) #21

well done mate! this is so epic :smile: