[DONE] - The Late Newbie

magicavoxel
voxel
blender

(YadNi Monde) #1

Hello!
So we are one week before the end of the countdown for this contest, i have never done pixel art other than a bit of minecraft years ago and this will be my first 3D contest ever, hence, the title of my piece... I think it is quite fitting, and should allow me for a nice storyline =)
Not sure yet where i am going, i just wanted to declare my participation, so that part will be done, i will post work in progress as i go, and i will start by using MagicVoxel.
Now i really need to find a good idea =D
Yours, Friendly, YadNi!

(Nomadking) #2

Welcome aboard and good luck!

(YadNi Monde) #3

Thanks nomadking =)

Ok so as i went out to do some food shopping, i had time to think a little about my concept and i envision something like an end instance room containing a boss with some hardcore players bashing him, and in the entrance corridor, our late newbie just arriving...

Something around those lines anyway.

(YadNi Monde) #4

And here is my very first pre sketch in MagicaVoxel.

(YadNi Monde) #5

Now, after exporting my .ply voxel model to blender so i could make it a .dae, i have imported that to InWorldz, a SecondLife like grid where i will now sketch more precisely with Primitives.

The little humanoid speck on the lower part of the structure picture is me =)

(Ab Red) #6

cool, is that the story about school? and the noobs is the one who always got bullied??
btw welcome aboard!! i like your spirit and enthusiasm for this contest, good luck :smile:

(YadNi Monde) #7

OMG i hope i wont get bullied too much LOL
It s this new guy who is fresh out of the egg and always late, the party is always almost over when he learns there even was a party =)
Thanks for the warm welcome :wink:

(Ab Red) #8

ha ha, don't worry mate, you will not get bullied here, most of us here are just like you, we are inexperience with voxel, and just start using voxel because of this contest :blush:

(YadNi Monde) #9

Wow this is not easy, and finally i am back to sketching inside Blender, and exporting back to MagicaVoxel because my plan to sketch with prims wasnt that practical.

(YadNi Monde) #10

OMG almost 3 am already i need to stop for today so here s a final wip for the day.

(Bart) #11

Thanks for joining the Heroic Voxels contest and welcome on board :smile:

I have just given you one month of Sketchfab PRO - you can use it to add up to 20 annotations to your model.

Some more useful information to get you started:

• Read the contest updates - they will contain updates on contest progress, weekly tutorials and more.. I recommend you 'track' that topic so you'll receive notifications (instructions are in the post).
  • Frequently Asked Questions are in the (you guessed it) FAQ topic.

(Ab Red) #12

oh look the monster looks legit!! :smile:
did you make it manually?

(YadNi Monde) #13

I am doing my base sketching in blender by building very simple mesh that i can then export to magicavoxel. Given that i only have a week, i better go like that if i want to do anything =)

(YadNi Monde) #14

Oh thanks Bart, i will try to make good use of that =)

(YadNi Monde) #15

More detail to the architecture cant hurt.

So this is how i sketch inside Blender with Mesh

And then i import to MagicaVoxel where i will do all the painting and final sculpt tweaking

The advantage of Blender sketching is that i can move/resize things while in MagicaVoxel, as there is no selection tool, you cant move an object in the scene.

(Ab Red) #16

@yadni well that's ok, it's still legal in this contest anyway :smile: , and i also planning to make my second entries in a week :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(YadNi Monde) #17

It may seem subtle but i changed a lot of the architecture of this room.

(Ab Red) #18

it looks like a church hall, especially from this angle :smile:

(YadNi Monde) #19

Well done AB_red, spot on about my inspiration for this room =)

(Ab Red) #20

haha, but that's pretty cool, can't wait to see you adding light and colors on your scene.. good luck :smiley: