[Done] Through Tides and Thunder

voxel

(Abubakr93) #1

Just found out about this contest yesterday.. Guess I'm still not too late as I rush for some idea sketches and made the base models. Decided to make a sailing ship heroically sailing through tides and thunder.

The surface base:

The base model of the ship:

Unfortunately internet in my college is racing with a snail that I need to transfer the files and upload using my mobile phone (thankfully! ).

So here's my current WIP:

Through Tides and Thunder by bamabu on Sketchfab

heroicvoxels #voxels

Note: will upload an earlier WIP later on to show the preparation of the scene using base models.

(YadNi Monde) #2

Welcome "aboard" and good luck =)

(Paulnicholls) #3

very nice! I would love to find out how do went from the model to the voxels :smile:

(YadNi Monde) #4

It is not that hard, @paulnicholls, create your model in Blender, export it in .obj format, then open MagicaVoxel and on the lower right part of your screen you can find a button with three dots [...] click it to import your .obj scene of object.

(Abubakr93) #5

Thanks @yadni and @paulnicholls. I used the Blender's Remesh modifier with these settings:

1. Mode - Blocks
  2. Octree Depth - 7
  3. Scale - 0.9
  4. Uncheck Remove Disconnected Pieces

(Abubakr93) #7

@paulnicholls so here it is. This is the base model before remesh modifier:

(Bart) #8

Thanks for joining the Heroic Voxels contest and welcome on board :smile:

I have just given you one month of Sketchfab PRO - you can use it to add up to 20 annotations to your model.

Some more useful information to get you started:

• Read the contest updates - they will contain updates on contest progress, weekly tutorials and more.. I recommend you 'track' that topic so you'll receive notifications (instructions are in the post).
  • Frequently Asked Questions are in the (you guessed it) FAQ topic.

(Abubakr93) #9

Thanks @bartv. Really appreciate the pro upgrade!

(Elbriga) #10

I love the water here, really dynamic, and I like how you painted colors to focus on the center, pretty cool :smile:

(Abubakr93) #11

Summary of my work progress:

The base model for the sea.

Base model for ship.

Extruded/extended faces on the sea base model to create waves and splashes.

Colored the sea with light and darker blue.. The darker parts were made to ensure focus on the center part of the scene. Added white for stylization.

Painted the ship's flag red and monster limbs green to add contrast.

Added thunders for a better and shocking result (bad pun intended)

Adjusted some colors:

Note: The scene should include some fogs to complete the representation of enemies on all directions (tides below, thunder above, fogs around). Unfortunately I was not able to finish coloring it on time and I rest my entry to the judges. Hope you guys enjoy!

Anyhow it has been a very good experience working on this piece :). Thanks to the sketchfab committees for this contest!

(Paulnicholls) #12

Thanks @yadni good to know, I didn't know that before :smile:

cheers,
Paul