Sketchfab Forum

EMBED ERROR: "you are using a deprecated api"

(Swami Mathtraveler) #1

Greetings Support Team,

Here's the web page.
(Model in question is the first of four on the page.)

Here's the embed code...
(grabbed recently: 12 Dec 2015)

<!-- SKETCHFAB: 'FN!-SquarePyramidal' -->
<iframe width="560" height="420" src="https://sketchfab.com/models/5d5b4fa75561426a9031560e3a6e2323/embed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe>

Here's the console output...

So, I'm surprised it says 'deprecated', since I just recently grabbed the embed code. Maybe just a matter of coincidental timing. Or maybe something else.

Also, note that is reports:

PERFORMANCE WARNING: Attribute 0 is disabled. This has significant performance penalty.

That said, all seems to be "OK", but I would still like to update things and ensure all users get the best experience possible.

TIA,

Swami

Hi Swami,

I don't think there's anything you can do on your end about these warnings. I also see them regularly.

To be honest, I don't really know what they mean. @stephomi can you explain?

James

(Swami Mathtraveler) #3

Hi @james (& @stephomi),

I can explain...

Deprecation is an attribute applied to a computer software feature, characteristic, or practice to indicate that it should be avoided (often because it is being superseded).
While a deprecated software feature remains in the software, its use may raise warning messages recommending alternative practices; deprecated status may also indicate the feature will be removed in the future. Features are deprecated rather than immediately removed, to provide backward compatibility and give programmers time to bring affected code into compliance with the new standard.
Ref.

In the end, the "deprecation" may be a "non-problem". Actually, more concerning is the "PERFORMANCE WARNING".

Sorry, I do know what "deprecated" means, I just don't know what this warning is specifically referring to.

(Swami Mathtraveler) #5

Hi @james,

Yes, I figured you probably knew what deprecated means, but included it "just in case not", and for others that might be reading this thread.

Again, the deprecated part may just be a WIP-related thing, so all still works as desired, and any changes will be accounted for at the proper future time. The performance warning is my true concern. And here, too, this might be a "non-problem", in the end. I'm not on the inside, so I lack proper knowledge.

Thx, again.