Emitting light objects: How?

(Javierdl) #1

Hi every one,
Can anyone share the necessary Sketchfab settings and materials for an object to emit light.
The reflected light on neighbour objects, is it done on the fly by Sketchfab, or do we need to bake it to textures first?

Thanks in advance guys :smile:

JDL

Making a Glowing Light?
(Stephomi) #2

In sketchfab, the only possible source of lights are :
- the environment
- the ponctual lights

The objects can have an emissive channel but it won't impact on the neighbour objects (it's mostly for the bloom to get a glow effect on some part of the model).

Currently, there's no way to have true object reflection in sketchfab.

You can bake AO (or global illumination) at least :smile:, everything that is not view dependent.

(Javierdl) #3

Stephomi, thanks a bunch! This will help me to better plan ahead how to approach the project.

Simon (Essimoon) was kind enough to share some of his valuable info too, on how he made the fire in his recently added model "The Fountain". He agreed for me to share that info with every one:
"...For the fountain I just used the color picker under the Emission tab in the Sketchfab viewer. I set the emission color pretty bright and then I added the Bloom post processing filter in the Scene tab. That gave a pretty nice look of fire.
Depending on what you want to achieve you can add geometry with transparency + emission to make the transition a bit smoother but it really depends on what you wanna do"

Bottom line is, 1. Bake AO or Global Illumination on the textures, then 2. Use both the "Emission" with a Colour, and the Bloom Post Processing Filter.

Thanks a lot again,

JDL

(Stephomi) #4

I see, nice indeed!

Note that in the "Fountain" model, @essimoon also placed a point light where the fire is.
It looks like the fire is being reflected on the wet stones but that's actually "just" the point light reflection, but it looks really cool.

(I hope I'm not spoiling any secrets here :smile:)

(Javierdl) #5

Oooh! Goodie goodie!
This is gotten so good I doubt it'll get any better!
Thanks a million stephomi :smile:
I can't wait to put all this to practice!

JDL

(Simon Kratz) #6

Haha don't worry @stephomi. The value of knowledge comes from sharing it :smile:
Someone recently messaged me and asked a similar question. It's definitely nice to have a public explanation here since there seem to be more people wondering abou that.

(Javierdl) #7

Thanks again Simon :smile:

J

(Makaveli1996) #8

I have to dig that out,
so basically that means if i want emissive parts i must have them as sepearted mesh parts?
for example my astronaut has a base he stands which must partially glow.
also his helmet lamps wont glow as they are part of the mesh.

(Dark Minaz) #9

not needed, you can have an emissive map

For example. So create a uv and give the parts that should glow a color and drag it into the emissive slot

or you can just make them separate with a new material and make that glow, both works.
If you plan to use transparency - do use a seperate material. Usually won't end really well otherwise :slight_smile: