[ENDED] Sketchfab 3D Editor Challenge: Thor and the Midgard Serpent

This week we challenge you to download Thor and the Midgard Serpent, upload it to your Sketchfab account, and adjust the settings in Sketchfab’s 3D Editor to give the model an entirely new look and feel.

For more information on the settings and capabilities of Sketchfab’s 3D Editor, check out the Help Center.

5 Likes

It says “share what you’re going to create” so… do I share mine here?

Edits are in the description. I wanted to go for the above the shoulder 3rd person with stark lighting isolating the 2 in battle.

3 Likes

Nice, thanks for sharing!

Heres my go, thought I would go for a darker setting.

1 Like

Here is my entry :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is my entry! Had great fun making this, as it involves mainly my area of expertise which is lighting and post.

Will expand here on what I said in the model’s description:

After seeing the model by Matthijs, I didn’t have a single doubt that I wanted to go for a night setting, which can be portrayed in different ways. One of them is moonlight (mainly a big, white light, that casts very soft shadows); another is no-moon-lighting which is often pictured as “dark blue”; I went for the latter as it also plays great with warm lights (orange and blue are complementary colors and do amazing things together).

Technically I am using one big spotlight to tint everything in blue, one red point light in the boat to give it a warmer, more “human” look, and one light blue, almost electric spotlight, going from Thor to the Serpent, to picture the powers of a god. That’s the lighting part, as for the post production:

Screen space reflections are off, because most shaders in the scene aren’t very reflective and it’s a very expensive effect performance-wise. SSAO is on, though this one is kind of a hard choice as it adds to the scene, but not that much, and it also isn’t light on performance. Grain is on but with a very low setting, to add some “cinematicness” without being way too fake. DoF; I am using it to accentuate the main action in the scene. Sharpness is off, it didn’t look good in this image. CA is on, same that with Grain, it adds some cinematic feel; and the same goes for Vignette as well.

Tone-mapping and color balance are great tools to improve on the look you already established with lighting, or to tweak it a bit; and that’s what I did, adding a bit more contrast, and “blueing” things up even more, just a bit.

Thanks for reading and hope you liked my take on this amazing model! :smiley:

6 Likes

my first participation in the sketchfab challenger

1 Like

I wanted to create a night themed scene and added the light from a lightning in the back.
I also added a red light shining out of the dragons mouth.

1 Like

Hi, this is my crazy change for the challenge.

2 Likes

Looked like fun, here’s my version. Subsurface scattering, point lights, saturated colors and refraction.

2 Likes

Hi, It’s my first challenge in Sketchfab, I found it very interesting how we can use the editor to change the emotions and the meaning of this 3d scene.
I tryed to do an onyrical scenery based on Fauve Art and of course, a little inspiration in Frank Miller’s 300 .

4 Likes

That looks awesome. Welcome to Sketchfab!

Hello this is my entry!, I love viking culture so i couldnt let pass this opportunity to play with this great piece of art! i love it! Amazing job Matthijs!. Hope you like the amazing story of Thorin Helgeson fighting side by side with Thor! ( read the description to know more ;))

5 Likes

Hello, I came across the forum and noticed this event. This would probably be my 2nd Sketchfab Challenge and thought it may be fun to start my day with. I decided to go with a traditional Romanticism era-like art style, inspired by the classic painting “Raft of the Medusa”: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raft_of_the_Medusa

Sketchfab link to my entry:

3 Likes

Very enjoyable seeing you guys have fun with this and already creating some amazing presentations!

4 Likes

Thought it would be cool to have a kind of “Sea of Thieves” vibe, so the background has been adjusted to be stormy vs. sunset, whilst the rock has correct colours for China’s terrain…

Since I couldn’t add patterns to the dragon or boats, I’ve changed his colour instead, and made the boat materials more like painted wood. I’ve also added a Depth of Field, so any object nearest to the camera is blurred - making it act like a diorama on your desk when taking beauty shots up close.

2 Likes

4 Likes

That’s really quite something, Zale, but how did you do it? I’ve never seen an effect quite like this!

Thank you :blush: to achieve this effect I changed the colors of the models using a color instead of the original textures, I added a specular color to the materials, and used the textures as displacement map on some models to add a bit of distortion, then I added some post process effects, sharpness, chromatic aberration, bloom, and tone mapping (maxing out all the parameters)

hello, here is my version : Thor And The Matcap Serpent

2 Likes