[ENDED] Sketchfab 3D scanning Challenge: Summer Fun

3dscanning

(Nebulousflynn) #1

We’re officially in summer now, which means that it’s time to get out into the sunshine and capture something you love about summer. Is it your trusty beach chair, your camping gear, or perhaps your vegetable garden? Or maybe a piña colada? Whatever summer means to you, it’s time to get scanning.

TL;DR: 3D Scan something that says “summer” to you using your preferred tools and software, upload it to Sketchfab and tag the model #SummerScanChallenge.

Read the blog announcement for full rules + prize details:

(Nathanwondrak) #2

Hello, It looks like I’m the first one to post, its also my first time photo scanning. I was wondering if we still get a month’s upgrade to pro? I also took a and HDRI photo and wanted to add it to my final.

(Nebulousflynn) #3

Hey @nathanwondrak - we only offer 1 month of Pro for certain special challenges… but you can win 3 months of Pro as part of the prize in this challenge.

You’ll be judged on your scan entry not the BG :slight_smile:

(Nathanwondrak) #4

Thanks for the response. I found this cool cave on a beach area that gives really nice dynamic lighting so it’s a shame not to use it. Either way, its been fun getting out, I even ran into a fellow scanner at the beach.

I’ll update as the process progresses.

(Add4d) #5

Something very summer, are the adventures and good adventures always have to take a map …

(Nebulousflynn) #7

My entry. captured on the way to Sketchfab HQ in New York :hibiscus::

(Cga Studio) #8

And my entry - i’m new for challenge!

(Roy Rodenhauser) #9

Too late to go back to Italy and redo this! Half of it just didn’t make it.

(Nathanwondrak) #10

One of the big reasons I wanted to try this competition is to see how photo scans would work for games.
Here are some of my other scans.https://sketchfab.com/models/d277bbc9481146ac89a2525ba7b4a521
https://sketchfab.com/models/1f3f39b8e95b40a792746924dabc75c0

(Pimplik) #11

Hello! Here is my work on the theme of summer.

For me, summer is bright colors and the opportunity to swim in the sea or river.
Sand is a unique texture, it is the same color as the Sun and at the same time takes the form of waves, which is especially noticeable in the morning or at sunset. So I decided to scan a piece of the beach at sunset.

In the work I used 185 shots from Canon 70D with processing in 3DF Zephyr, Blender, PixPlant and Substance Painter.

More on steps: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kgoJy

(Bart) #12

@pimplik ha we have the same idea :slight_smile:

(Pimplik) #13

I foresaw that this could happen so I took my favorite sneakers that are not for the beach, but they have an interesting combination of textures for scanning :slight_smile: Seriously, I wanted to show the sand at sunset, not slippers, just if there is only sand, then in my opinion there will be a boring composition. And with slippers it is clear that this sand from the beach, and not from the rack :joy:

(Nebulousflynn) #14

:beach_umbrella: Thanks Everyone! :beach_umbrella:

Challenge over - we’ll announce the winner later this week :slight_smile:

(Kmerino) #15

Shoot, saw the award date of the 17th and thought that was the last day to enter. Here is what I was going to enter if I had paid closer attention to the announcement.

(Abby Crawford) #16

And the winner is...

The Sand by pimplik

Thanks to all who entered! Enjoy the rest of your summer! :sun_with_face: