[ENDED] Sketchfab Hand Painting Challenge: #HandPaintedDoor

(Bart) #1

Hey all! Here's where you can post your WIPs for the new Hand Painted challenge, 'Doors'. We want to explore the liminal spaces of doors, those ordinary, mundane passageways we all go through every day. Do you envision yourself going to another room? Country? Realm? What would that space look like? Feel like? Express the story of this door or pathway via a small diorama that focuses on the hand-painted texture aspect of it.

TL;DR: create a hand painted doorway and tag it #HandPaintedDoor

Read full details on the blog.

(Rybird) #2

Hello and thank you for the opportunity. While my entry may not count as I did not paint detail, but rather used volumetric occlusion with flipped normals on the outside and ambient occlusion on duplicated vertices on the inside. Then I am reflecting my art from the model. I may design another idea using more detailed hand painting, but for now this is my idea and contribution. It is Portal Moon and the moon is a doorway to another universe. As presented it is a doorway into itself, the interior which is Amethyst like. Again, thank you for the opportunity.

(Noodlecake) #3

Is the idea to use a style that looks painterly? Like is there extra points for ones that look explicitly painted? And are there marks down for using masks and things like that that might take away from it having a painterly feel?

(Fabianvan Dorst) #4

I'll be making a vault type door for this contest, in a 1960's type of atmosphere
heavily inspired by "team fortress" and "counterspy" using lots and lots of american propoganda,
because War, war never changes.

Moodboard :

(Jamey98) #5

For this contest I will be making a scene inspired by the art of Firewatch, RiME and Team Fortress 2.

(Fabianvan Dorst) #6

Currently working on some propaganda posters inspired by counter spy
for the scene. Here's 2 I've done currently

(Markskovrup) #7

I am going to make a Witch's door, out in her swamp.
:smiley:

(Lovibos) #8

Hi all ! I would like to share with you some of my ideas with this 2 models is a part of a scene and i project it in sketchfab with matcap render ! I want to show you more the modeling

(Dark Minaz) #9

well to me there is only one true door :stuck_out_tongue: gate of truth version 2 (there were 3 in the manga) , not a fan of the first one (+ already did that one .. badly though) ^^
so i plan to make this one, maybe slightly different but i try to model it based on that.
Will see how this goes

(Jamey98) #10

The handpainted tree is done, now I'm going to focus on grass, rocks and most importantly the door :slight_smile:

(Nicktheladd) #11

Would something painted in Quill qualify for this? It wouldn't technically have any textures because it's all vertex paint and the mesh won't come out all that optimized.

(Vrhuman) #12

Sure! Feel free to use whatever software you want to work in :slight_smile:

(Angelosop) #13

HI, just a couple of questions.
Is there any limit to the number of materials or texture maps that can be used? And has it just to be a diffuse map or can it also have other maps as emmisive for example?
And one last question, can the model have an animation (for opening a dorr i.e.) or a travelling?

(Dark Minaz) #14

Not an actual limit but everything after 6 x 4k just is a bit overkill
can be other maps as well, pbr handpainted if you want
it can but i think there are no bonus points for it

(Francoisespagnet) #15

Hi, I work on a Saloon door... but not a simple door something in fire :stuck_out_tongue:

References :

Quick sketch :

(Creativeblendproductions) #16

Here is my idea for my entry. Going back to home made forts and tents. With a bit of a twist.

(Nomadking) #17

Seeing lots of nice references so far, looking forward to seeing where people go with them! :slight_smile:

(Tgi) #18

Hey all. I really like the concept of this little challenge. It'll be a fun way to produce some 3D work on the side.

I'm thinking about doing a creepy-cute cellar door with a spider theme to it. I really wanna focus on the weathering of the wood through normals and spec (if that's allowed of course) and creating an appealing color scheme. Here's some of my inspiration so far:

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with!

(Creativeblendproductions) #19

My Contest WIP so far! :smiley:

(Makit3d) #20

Here is my progress on this contest. The door materials are buggy since I had to restructure my UV's.