[ENDED] Sketchfab Hand Painting Challenge: #HandPaintedRocks

(Bart) #1

Howdy! Here's where you can post your WIPs for the new Hand Painting Challenge, or just chat about hand painted textures, rocks and get inspiration for your entry.

To enter, be sure to add the #HandPaintedRocks tag to your scene.

(Han) #2

love this challenge :smiley:

(Nomadking) #3

This challenge is going to rock... :wink:

(Vermilionwlad) #4

Sounds like a cool challenge! Do i have to post WIPs or do i just need to tag the submission when it's done?

(Bart) #5

WIPs are optional, but encouraged :slight_smile:

(Jcg The Great) #6

So this is my first time joining a sketch fab contest,
In what form will my final entry be? A render? A 3D model? If it's a 3D model, what do I need to display/submit my entry in this forum?
Hehe, sorry if I'm asking too many questions...
Thanksss :smiley:

(Dark Minaz) #7

Simply upload the final model to sketchfab and add the tag #handpaintedrocks .
So a 3d model with a texture and then a simple link in this forum to your model.

(3dcapture Co Uk) #8

Rock On!

(Bart) #9

Hmm, is that a 3D scan, or did you actually hand paint it?

(Rmorais) #10

Awesome contest. Since I kind of missed the last contest's wip thread, I'll make sure to post here every step of my entry :stuck_out_tongue:

My idea is kind simple, I'll be make a stone/sand golem for this contest. The creature is a "beast of burden" summoned to help with huge loads of cargo.
I'll try my best to finish this one, in the midst of full time job, freelances and personal stuff

Edit: I'm still messing with it, trying to fnd the creature while experimenting with the shapes

(3dcapture Co Uk) #11

Hi , It is a scan yes , the texture has been given a paint filter to give it a painted look..
I didn't paint it all by hand , but it is a rock creation with a hand painted style...mmmm :wink:

(Bart) #12

Nice try, but that's not the point of this challenge :slight_smile: Could you please remove the tag from your scene?

(3dcapture Co Uk) #13

Yep have remove the tag, sorry for missing the point... il try the next contest>D

(Rmorais) #14

Quick question, the rules don't specify if I need to use just a diffuse map for this, or if I can go PBR and try my own look and feel using normal and metalness and all the good stuff?

something like this http://bit.ly/2lcbPGU

(Dark Minaz) #15

i think both the sort of "overwatch / pixar" pbr handpainted style or the more 2d/ diffuse handpainted style are fine. While the painting and the theme are the focus you should be free to pick your own style for it :slight_smile:

(Nomadking) #16

Regardless of normal, metal or any other map, the heart of the Overwatch style is still a well painted Diffuse map with all the details and shading that it entails - so if you want to go that way it would be fine :slight_smile:

(Kumakier) #17

Looks like its time to learn how to use Zbrush for this challenge maybe.

(Fongoose) #18

Hi Folks,

You can make hundreds of unique variations by changing the shape, colour and natural elements in your rocks. Here's a cool pic I found on pinterest. I also have a few more images here: https://uk.pinterest.com/mikefongart/rockyplaces/

(Curlscurly) #19

Hey! I was thinking about to join the challenge too since I am working on a piece at the moment that includes many handpainted rocks :wink: My question is though, is it possible to base it on some one elses concept art? Or does it have to be based on my own concept? Thanks in advance!

(Nomadking) #20

Since the 'Design' of what you create is part of the judging criteria, it should be something of your own creation rather than modelling someone else's concept art. Nothing wrong with taking a little inspiration though :wink: