[ENDED] Sketchfab Hand Painting Challenge: Paladin's Book

What magic hides within these pages? This week we challenge you to download this version of Paladin’s Book, originally by AlexChuchvaga, hand paint it, and upload it to your Sketchfab account with the tag #PaladinsBookChallenge.

Download the challenge model here.

Full rules and prize details can be found in the blog announcement:

3 Likes

Hello :slight_smile:
That’s a cool challenge to motivate people to try doing hand painting !
I see that we can modify the Uv if necessary, but can we apply 2 materials instead of one if necessary on the object ?
Thank you

Hey there, that’s a great challenge! :slightly_smiling_face: Can we use normal map? Thanks!

Here is mine!

3 Likes

Hello.
Awesome entries so far. Hope to see more great ideas soon.
Here is mine. I changed the UV a little bit so I could bake some more textures like AO and position (trying to look more realistic maybe…).
I also tried to play more with the emission making the book more ritual and cult like.
What do you think?

1 Like

Hello! I was wondering if adding an inverted mesh for the purpose of toon shading would be permitted?

1 Like

This was my first time entering into a SketchFab challenge, and had a lot of fun with it!
I went with some plant magic vibes <3

7 Likes

Hi @inkjetcanvas. Per the rules, modifying model geometry, adding props or extra scenery is not allowed in this challenge.

1 Like

Work in progress

4 Likes

awesome! wow

1 Like

Hello @abbyec
I’m advancing on my project, but I need to know if we can use 2 materials instead of one to make more detailed pages ?
Thanks

Yes, that’s fine!

Finished my entry… hope you enjoy!

5 Likes

When you say hand painting does that mean using a brush type tool or can I just assign generated textures in blender to the material?

It tooks time to paint every detail :slight_smile: but for a first Hand painted project I wanted to learn many different techniques and styles !
A Paladin whose mission is to collect all kind of magic on earth.

2 Likes

If you mean procedurally generated textures, those are not allowed. The model should be painted by hand in the software of your choice.

Bonjour !
Merci beaucoup pour ce concours, je voulais m’améliorer en handpainting, et c’était l’occasion parfaite :sourire: !
Voici mon livre, tout droit venu de l’Atlantide :

Ma participation

(aussi, comment faites-vous pour afficher votre projet ? Je n’ai réussi qu’à mettre un lien)

1 Like

I finished my entry with a white book! I hope you like the result. Check the annotations with some added story! :slight_smile:

Those entries were magical :sparkles:. Great job everyone! You made it a difficult decision for the judges.

And the winner is...

Book of Botany by @jeighto

Here’s what the judges had to say about the winning entry:

"The whole style of this piece is very cohesive and lovely to look at. My favorite part is the flowers that are coming out of the book, love the creative twist of this! " - Jasmin (@curlscurly)

“The leather and wood work are subtle but very well done, and the flowers springing from the pages are a real stroke of genius!” - Phil (@nomadking)

“Not only a sweet idea and neatly executed but some subtle use of post-processing filters makes the whole thing pop even more. Great work!” - Tom (@nebulousflynn)

“Nice and original idea; it really seems the flowers are growing and coming out of the book. Well done!” - Kevin (@KevinCayuelaBorg)

6 Likes