[ENDED] Sketchfab LiDAR Scanning Challenge: Street Art

With the new LiDAR scanning functionality of the iPhone 12 Pro and the proliferation of apps that help you upload your scans directly to Sketchfab, we want to see what you can do with iOS LiDAR.

This week we challenge you to scan street art (murals, graffiti, statues, etc.) using the iOS LiDAR sensor on your iPhone 12 Pro or iPad Pro, upload the model to Sketchfab, and tag it #LidarScanChallenge.

Full rules and prize details can be found in the blog announcement:

2 Likes

Does the rule allow merging multiple scans?

Thanks

For the sake of fairness I we will say it needs to be just a single scan from the app of your choice.

Unless it is possible to combine scans in app? Then it will be hard for us to judge either way.

Ok, got it. Thanks.

Matt

As an android user, I’m really curious to see the results that come out of this.

1 Like

I’m curious, why does it have to be scanned with the iPhone LiDAR? There are other ways of 3D scanning.

We run different challenges each week, often including photogrammetry and other scanning techniques - this one happens to focus on this particular tech :+1:

1 Like

Amazing initiative :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do I understand correctly >> we can submit multiple scenes right? So multiple Sketchfab scans? I’m up for the challenge as always :slight_smile:

yes, multiple entries are allowed but bare in mind that the challenge is judged based on quality, not quantity :slight_smile:

Banksy - Portrait of Basquiat
It took me 10 sec to capture and 20 sec to process using Polycam iOS 3D scanning app. Application is free to use but applies a small charge when transferring the files.

1 Like

This challenge was a tough one to judge—there were so many incredible entries! Great work, everyone.

And the winner is...

Aemo / Titan Stairwell - Progress by KyCAD IT

Here’s what the judges had to say about it:

"Super clever to have included the graffiti artist in the scan, and the staircase structure makes for a great scanning subject. " - Alban (@alban)

“There are two staircase scans in the challenge, but this one conveys the mood I expect from such a staircase. I love it!” - Mieke (@miekeroth)

“A very clever capture that shows off the unique artwork and space as well as the artists(?). Good use of annotations and single-sided rendering.” - Tom (@nebulousflynn)

“Might not be the cleanest but definitively the most impressive. Keep scanning several stories is a real challenge.” - Geoffrey (@geoffreymarchal)

“This model captures street art as a concept rather than a location. Not only is the scope of the capture impressive, but the inclusion of people in the scan adds an engaging layer of storytelling. The annotations are a nice touch.” - Abby (@abbyec)

BONUS PRIZES!

We were so blown away by your scans that we’ve decided to award three more prizes to three runners up:

Day 27 - Staircase by smallfly

SF Street Art 26 - 24th & York Mini Park by edemaistre

Pottergate Underpass Graffiti, Norwich by LWickwar

1 Like