[ENDED] Sketchfab May Challenge: Sci-Fi Circus Sculpting

Hey Everyone!
I’m joining the challenge!
Here is my entry, any comments / feedback is always welcomed! (I’m new to the forums so I don’t know if I can embed :frowning:

Good luck to you all!

7 Likes

Hi Sketchfab ,thanks for this wonderful challenge,this is my entry for the challenge Sci-Fi Circus Sculpting. Here Sculpting is done in Zbrush & Texturing is done in Substance painter.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/xppensculptchallenge-sci-fi-circus-characters-245440a8b109433bbeb569e3ca0fdff7

2 Likes

5 Likes

3 Likes

Ok… that begs an interesting question about normal maps, and how other people make them…
First, cool sculpt…
Second, from looking at the wire frame mode, It looks like a sculpt, as in not retopologized (though I could be wrong) and then it has more definition from the normal map…
My typical workflow is sculpt an ever increasingly complex mesh, where the adding of geometry is decided by the computer, so utterly terrible, and dense, then retopo to lower poly, then bake the denser geometry to the normal for the lower poly… this puts me in mind of sculpt with generated mesh, and making it even more refined with the normal map, not generated by bakeing…
“bakeing” is the only way I know how to make a normal map that still fits the UVs of character…

Hello everyone. So many great entries! Here’s mine:

(concept by Juliette Taka)

I’m happy I could finish and get a decent result. Thank you Sketchfab for the challenge!

5 Likes

Hi there, here’s mine :

Last minute entry lol !

2 Likes

God, after i failed to finish last month’s challenge, i push myself harder this time. Sorry for submit it so close to the deadline. I hope this still count. Good luck to us all. Thanks for the challenge, Sketchfab team. It’s a fun theme.

4 Likes

Great submissions so far!

Meet Fred and Murgles, a new circus duo making their debut performance!

4 Likes

Nice creature!

Very nice!

Hi every one this is Morlok, my entry for this challenge hope you like it.

4 Likes

thank you for answer.

Hi there! This is my first project here on Sketchfab, I was really wondering and excited to take part in this challenge and I’m so happy to present it here :slightly_smiling_face: I used Zbrush, 3dMax and Substance Painter/Designer in my work

Thanks for viewing and best of luck every participant!

3 Likes

I might be a little late to post here and i even posted my submission in the last day but here it is

Event Horizon - Interdimensional Twins

I also uploaded the sculpting timelapse for the hard surface elements, in the description of the upload. Organic sculpting will be up tonight.

retopologised

6 Likes

This. was. epic. You all brought some incredible talent to this challenge and made it very difficult for the judges to choose their winners. But choose they did. :circus_tent:

And the winners are...

3rd Place: Space Kaijū Juggler by Julien Chambriard

“Great model and textures. The background gives a new perspective to this very (un)common juggler!” - Geoffrey (@geoffreymarchal )

2nd Place: Bounce by 000734

“This composition, colors and glows capture my attention instantly, it reminds me of Avatar the film and “Cirque du soleil”; an amazing match. Stunning!” Kevin (@KevinCayuelaBorg)

“Completely alien, great composition.” - Mieke (@miekeroth)

1st Place: Sci-Fi Circus Challenge: Bajwali Wolf by Hammer

“This one is my fav, the Dumbo nostalgia comes to me, composition, ilumination, colors are simply amazing but that’s not all, the story he’s telling with this kind of handcuffs and those tentacles on his face is just awesome.” - Geoffrey (@geoffreymarchal)

“I almost looked over it in the immense amount of great models! Luckily we have to examine every model because gems like these shouldn’t be unnoticed. Great concept, great story, love the execution.” - Mieke (@miekeroth)

“Wonderful composition of a beautiful beast. I love the backstory Hammer has added to the whole scene. Very well done!” - Warkarma (@Warkarma)

“Hits the challenge theme perfectly and executes the scene with wonderful sculpting skill.” - Tom (@nebulousflynn)

“Great concept, great backstory, great execution, great use of the Sketchfab viewer and settings. Well done.” - Abby (@abbyec)

Congratulations to everyone who participated. Great work!

6 Likes

Thank You

I thought this was a sculpting challenge you don’t even mention sculpting in most of your comments and there is very little if no sculpting in the 2nd place. Now I don’t think I should have won but there were far better sculpts then what did win 2nd and 3rd I mean 2nd place doesn’t even have a normal of the high res version. Seems more like this was a composition contest then a sculpting contest in which case you need to title your challenges better. also completely alien i guess you’ve never seen an axolotl image

2 Likes

Agreed, there were far better models (mine excluded) from the sculpting aspect than 2nd and 3rd imo, but i guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

1 Like

Yes in view of the results it was a compositing challenge and not a sculpting one. Compared to their comments, texture and compositing should have appeared on the title of the challenge and not Sci-fi Circus: Sculpting
I think the judges had to base themselves on a grid where the circus factor was far too important than the sculpt. I missed the circus atmosphere but I think there were many other real sculpt + weird + beautiful + circus that had their place in the awards. I understand that preferences and colors can be discussed but in response to the first lines of this challenge, there are models that may not have been really looked at. I’m almost sad for them :sweat_smile:
The fact is that we are not judges, if their work was done with all sincerity we can only respect their decisions.

1 Like